Repairing a guitar neck - any instrument makers out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIGNAL":2vp3sufb said:
Aliphatic resin is the yellow glue such as Titebond.
I'm afraid liquid hide glue is a poor choice for this type of repair, in fact liquid hide glue is a poor choice for any type of bonding other than a meeting with the rubbish bin. You need the real stuff.

I might not have used hide glue for a repair just like this but I have used it for some that other glues have not held e.g. a broken rear tote on my #6 ( which is rosewood )and it was done about 20 year ago, its still in one piece :)

I might not have used hide glue for a repair just like this but I have used it for some that other glues have not held e.g. a broken rear tote on my #6 ( which is rosewood )and it was done about 20 year ago, its still in one piece

Yes, but was that liquid hide glue? or hide glue? or even hide glue that was in a liquid state?
'Liquid hide glue' is the stuff that is made by the Titebond people and is dispensed from the bottle without the need to heat the glue. Does not have the same properties as the traditional hide glue which is far superior - at least in all the tests that I have carried out.

Hi all,
I must say-I thought it was going to be simple. What an understatement! :wink:
I have ordered the liquid hide glue - but am now not going to use it. (junk apparently! I wonder what Titbond would think of that?) :wink:

Nevertheless I have now ordered hide and Titbond II glue and on my confidence level at the time I will use appropriately. I am going to experiment with the hide glue first - I like the idea it is reversible :D especially for my screwups! IF OK I will use it.

Thanks for all the info.

Oh yes, I am going to use lacquer to finish the neck - hopefully it will not react with what is already there.

Hi Mignal

I used hot hide glue ( I am a restorer ) :wink:
I have never used the Titebond one

BrianD

This might help you get the right consistency for the glue but you can have it thinner than it is in that thread :)

I hope it helps

I've always used Elmers Pro Bond. The TiteBond II seems to creep a bit after time. It should be fine. After all...you're not glueing a 30's Martin back together!!!! :D

B.T.W. White vinegar will gel up dried yellow glue. Just be carefull...oak doesn't like it too much. Test on scrap.

Back