Removing twist from thick boards for coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NickN":3q5uao2e said:
And that's why I don't post often, I'm usually wrong. Sorry.
No need to apologise Nick. It's good to have ideas out in the open though some of them might get a bit of kicking, still better out than in!
nb there's a big industry out there trying to sell you expensive stuff you really don't need, like special shooting planes.

MikeG.":3aqv9ul9 said:
The fashion for having a vast collection of planes is something I have always found bizarre, given that it is so completely unnecessary.
But how will anyone on YouTube take you seriously if you don't have a massive tool cabinet with fifty planes and twenty chisels sat behind you? :p :lol:

cgarry":1n9ncpcl said:
I have a quick question that I hope is not too far off topic. Is it okay to use a cambered blade with a shooting board?

It rather depends on what the shot component is part of. If it's the end of a small panel going into the grooves of a frame-and-panel construction, then it probably matters not a jot. If it's the mating ends of a wooden picture frame, or the cornice mouldings for a cabinet, then any gappy joints resulting from shooting with a cambered iron will stick out like a sore thumb.

As so often in woodwork, horses for courses.

Back