Removing metal bolt from oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_lotusbleu

Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up some big oak beams from an old cottage renovation and saved them. I was thinking they'd look great as some legs in a slab table or bench.
There's a lot of 20mm diameter bolts through them, probably about 5 inches long and I've had no luck removing them, anyone got any ideas?

What heads have they got on them?
Can you get at them from the other side (to drill loosener holes, around the bolts, which may be very well locked in).

We had to do the above on some beams I used in re-erecting a barn quite a while ago. In the end we drilled some easing holes around the bolts, welded a big long piece of steel bar to a suitable heavy duty spanner (for leverage) and they came out.

There's no head on them, it looks just like a steel rod.
My first thought was it was a metal framers pin with no 't' section.

Big hammer and a drift and a lot of sweat, the steel will have reacted with the oak and stuck them in.
If you could weld something to them you could leaver them out or get a car jack on them.

Pete

You might be able to get a long reach hole saw that would possibly do it from both sides, if not an ordinary one would probably do about 1 1/2" - 2" from each side, which would allow you to bash the rest out. Get a 22mm - 24mm and run it (carefully) without the pilot.

If you don't mind leaving a mark, cook up the end (assuming it is sticking out!) with a propane or MAPP gas blowlamp, so that it gets hot enough to singe the wood (by conducted heat - don't point the blowlamp at the wood surface!).

Let it cool a bit and it should then respond fairly well to a Mole wrench.

Back