Removable slotting wall brackets required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some wall brackets, where you fix one part to the wall, and the other to the object you want to hang, and then you slot the two together whenever you want to hang it. Similar to the way some shelving brackets attach to their wall counterparts.

I've been searching, and the closest thing I've found is this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULLS-DARTBOA ... 27b893bdc1

That one rotates, but it least it's the sort of thing I'm after.

And idea what these things are called or where I can get them?

Thanks

katellwood":3k0pothd said:
What do you want to hang/support, have you considered making your own french cleats
It's to hang a home made projector screen, which would be made of either 3mm foam pvc, or 3mm MDF. In one location though, it needs to hang 6" off of the wall, so perhaps some 6" block also hanging.

Yes I am thinking of making my own french cleats (thanks for telling me what they're called), but I'll be leaving one part on my living room wall, so I'd like them to be quite small (I could hang pictures on them when the screen isn't up). I'm thinking metal would be better than wood.

In fact, now you've told me what they're called I can search for them. Kitchen wall cabinets are held in a similar way, although only half of those fixings seem appropriate (I don't know if they'd work in pairs, as usually the cabinet has a different fitting inside.

Atkins joinery":2lf3dczd said:
http://m.screwfix.com/p/flush-mounts-zinc-plated-3-75-x-35-x-36-87mm-pack-of-10/11423

what about these?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Ah, they look perfect, thanks. (link didn't work, so I searched screwfix for flush mounts)

I found the same sort of thing @ Lee Valey: http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/pa ... 50427&ap=1

Triggaaar":2mkr7l95 said:
katellwood":2mkr7l95 said:
What do you want to hang/support, have you considered making your own french cleats
It's to hang a home made projector screen, which would be made of either 3mm foam pvc, or 3mm MDF. In one location though, it needs to hang 6" off of the wall, so perhaps some 6" block also hanging.

Yes I am thinking of making my own french cleats (thanks for telling me what they're called), but I'll be leaving one part on my living room wall, so I'd like them to be quite small (I could hang pictures on them when the screen isn't up). I'm thinking metal would be better than wood.

In fact, now you've told me what they're called I can search for them. Kitchen wall cabinets are held in a similar way, although only half of those fixings seem appropriate (I don't know if they'd work in pairs, as usually the cabinet has a different fitting inside.
I just found out what they were yesterday from advice state-side-- versatile in the shop.
Hope you're enjoying the pj, I've quite a bit of work to maximise ours in the future too :)

orchard":3b6w7ush said:
I just found out what they were yesterday from advice state-side-- versatile in the shop.
It looks like 'flush mounts' are what I'm after. Reviews of the screwfix ones suggest they only take small screws: "Do also keep in mind you need small headed screws to fix these, eg. silver 4's" I guess that means 4mm, size 8, as opposed to size 4 :)

The same things are all over ebay and amazon, so I'll speak to a seller and check before ordering.

Hope you're enjoying the pj, I've quite a bit of work to maximise ours in the future too :)
I haven't got it yet, I should be picking it up tomorrow. The pj is actually for my work, but I can't resist being able to pop it into the living room too, so I need a removable screen that can fit over the plasma (pain).

It seems that in my excitement I haven't thought how I'm going to attach these to the thin screen.

Is it possible to get small countersunk headed bolts?
I could epoxy the metal brackets to my sheet, but I'm not sure how strong that'd be. Alternatively, I could use these brackets on the wall and blocks (blocks that go between the wall and screen) and then use a long timber french cleat on the screen, with kitchen hanging brackets on the blocks.

Our screens were 45kg. If you haven't already, you may want to check out avforums--they have loads of self build screens and theatres :)

orchard":3skbwq5h said:
Our screens were 45kg.
That's pretty heavy, what are they made out of (ie, thickness etc)? I'm expecting it to be under 10kg.

check out avforums
Thanks, that's where I started (same as when I got my first set-up in 2004)

Triggaaar":13otmd2c said:
orchard":13otmd2c said:
Our screens were 45kg.
That's pretty heavy, what are they made out of (ie, thickness etc)? I'm expecting it to be under 10kg.

check out avforums
Thanks, that's where I started (same as when I got my first set-up in 2004)

These were large, dual aspect screens, bought off the shelf, that I moved on in the end as I had asked three independent tradesmen to fit to my wall and none could do it adequately without reducing the throw significantly. I was just trying to give you an idea of the weight involved in some solutions if you were unaware :)

orchard":2glyh5cl said:
I was just trying to give you an idea of the weight involved in some solutions if you were unaware :)
Thanks. A sheet of 18mm MDF weighs about 42kg I think, so hopefully 3mm is about 7kg. With a bit of trimming, and then a 3" border added, hopefully it won't be too heavy. The alternative foam pvc is lighter, but I'm not sure if I can get the colour I want with that.

Back