remote switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone post a link for a remote switch for my extractor bought one from h/base but it got fried perhaps drawing to much power from my extractor.
Tnx Jim

Aldi/Lidl have then sometimes. I bought one and it has been working for years with out any problems.

Pete

Could someone post a link to the Maplin or Aldi options? I'm interested in one also but the £180 option from Axminster might be overkill for my needs.

Excellent just bought one from Amazon will give it a whirl! Had no idea these were even available, excellent, cheers!

i'm going to ask a really stupid question i think :)

but if my extractor has a no-volt switch, how do these work? i assume they dont as i'd have to alter the switch?

My extractor is 3hp so will the maplins one be ok you reckon ?
Tnx again for all the info
Jim

Receiver maximum wattage: 3120W..... on the maplins page

The starting current for a 3hp motor will be in the region of 20amps.

The relays in those plug in switches will be totally inadequate and bound to failure.

Myfordman":19m0jbul said:
The starting current for a 3hp motor will be in the region of 20amps.

The relays in those plug in switches will be totally inadequate and bound to failure.

What you can do is use the cheap remote switch to energise the coil of a contactor which then handles the current to your extractor. Only a little bit of fairly straightforward wiring required, something like this is what you'd need: http://cpc.farnell.com/abb-control/a12-30-10-230v-50hz/contactor-5-5kw-12a/dp/MC01532

Just a note of caution. I think Maplin sell 13amp and 5amp versions and they look the same. I had a NV switch on my extractor but an electrician friend looped a bypass wire into the switch and it works great. I think you need to know what you are doing though !

Latest posts

Back