Remember that "free" tree?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman14

Established Member
Reaction score
You know the one I offered a couple of weeks (or more) back...?

Well, they finally cut it down - as you can see from my "run round the wood store" thread, I know - I should have posted this before that one. :oops:

This is how I got it over the road - yes guys - it was heavier than 50kg!
No, they didn't leave it as one piece as I asked either.... :evil:

Trolley.jpg

This is what I knocked up - basic planks, screws, 3 x castors (rated 50kg each). Couple of stainless brackets from work, length of string...
Nothing fancy, long long enough for the shortest log, tal enough for the base (being the biggest diameter).

logontrolley.jpg

WIP - biggest lump.

Well - it works! :lol:

I was promised some timber from a friend in Liverpool,a couple of years ago.Talking to him last night,the timber has now nearly made it to his yard - it's apparently in sections about 4' diameter and about 25' long :shock:
If I "borrow" your design,might need to make two to be able to shift it.. :wink:

Andrew

It is surprising how back-bendingly heavy such a 'small' lump of wood can be! I really like your idea. :)

How are you going to work on it next - ie. remove it from the jig to cut it up? Or, will you borrow SWMBO as a second pair of hands? :D

Hi Powertool - the idea is copyright free - just seemd like a good way making sides / supports with the bits I've had hanging around. I would suggest bigger wheels, and a larger castor (I only had to get it down a drive, across the road, up the drive - including two dropped kerbs). The small castors really didn't like even that step...

Hi OPJ - it was with the help of a mate that I got it on and off the trolley.

It's all stored neatly in the garden now :oops: Even my SWMBO has looked at it and gone "oh, that'll make something nice..." :roll: My mate Jon suggested making a garden table out of it - make the bottom pointy, nail a plank on the top - hey presto, job done, time for a beer!

Back