Any idea of the species of tree?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have logs from these 2 trees which have been felled near me. My intentions are to plank them and leave to season for a couple of years and then make a chest of drawers or bed side tables from the timber.

Can any one advise on the species of tree and their suitability for furniture making? I am happy to put the work in as it will have a nice story to it once complete.

Attachments

• Tree 1a.jpg
    Tree 1a.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 47
  • Tree 1b.jpg
    Tree 1b.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Tree 1c.jpg
    Tree 1c.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Tree 1d.jpg
    Tree 1d.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Tree 2b (1).jpg
    Tree 2b (1).jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Tree 2b (4).jpg
    Tree 2b (4).jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Tree 2c.jpg
    Tree 2c.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 66
  • Tree 2d.jpg
    Tree 2d.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 63
1 looks like Hawthorne to me.
Struggling on 2 but the flower will help.

1 is Hawthorn - Crataegus monogyna
2 is (female) Goat Willow - Salix Caprea

Hawthorn is nice stuff - hard, good for making turned cupboard handles etc.
Willow's fairly useless!

PS both of these are likely to re-grow vigorously from the roots if cut down to the ground - you'll need to remove most of the root system too!

1 is Hawthorn - Crataegus monogyna
2 is (female) Goat Willow - Salix Caprea

Hawthorn is nice stuff - hard, good for making turned cupboard handles etc.
Willow's fairly useless!
Thanks for the info. It’s funny, in the raw state the willow looks the better timber. I will find out in a couple of years I guess. Maybe have to make a cricket bat :LOL:

Biggest challenge will be ending with usable sized timber. I cut a cherry down last year and planked it up into 1” and 2” boards, put in a shaded area under cover. 9 months later it is the most twisted pile of boards I’ve ever seen, I may get a few bits worth using after planing it up.

Biggest challenge will be ending with usable sized timber. I cut a cherry down last year and planked it up into 1” and 2” boards, put in a shaded area under cover. 9 months later it is the most twisted pile of boards I’ve ever seen, I may get a few bits worth using after planing it up.
My plan is to put them in the roof space of the garage and strap them down hoping I can force them straight

My plan is to put them in the roof space of the garage and strap them down hoping I can force them straight
Good luck with that.

If a tree is spirally grown and you plank it up, you'll end up with twisted planks no matter what as the boards have loads of sloping grain and tension built in.

I've seen 1 foot square beams twist so much that they lifted the off the wall, even though they were pinned down by a brick wall ontop.

I have logs from these 2 trees which have been felled near me. My intentions are to plank them and leave to season for a couple of years and then make a chest of drawers or bed side tables from the timber.

Can any one advise on the species of tree and their suitability for furniture making? I am happy to put the work in as it will have a nice story to it once complete.
Hawthorn and a willow by the looks of it.

Unless you're showing only the odds and ends left after the main trunk(s) has or have been removed, I'd say you have nothing there worth attempting to board up and dry. If your photographs show trunks, they're very small with little or no yield, but if they're branches they're almost certainly full of stress and will dry with a lot of distortion, and still with little or no yield.

Most of what I can see in your images look like it could yield small turning or carving parts, and the rest as firewood. Slainte.

Twisted to heck was my outcome. You could see the spiral in the trunk before cutting. Any suggestions to counter this?
905D1346-B7A8-4B61-AC46-B97D891EAF7D.jpeg
19619BFC-2C9A-4F1B-8758-315F42859C7E.jpeg

Only messing.

It has a high proportion of juvenile wood, the stuff next to the pith, and generally 7 growth rings from the pith is classed as such and is discarded.

Note how the growth slows right down after the juvenile wood ends.

Last edited:
I think that the only time in the last few centuries when England nearly went to war with Denmark was when the Danes showed reluctance to 'share' their supplies of oak timber (the Royal Navy required huge quantities of good quality oak). I think this was around the time of Napoleon.

It was to "borrow" the Danish fleet to fight the Spanish. The Danes said no, because they knew the English would forget to bring it back, so he went and took it anyway and set fire to Copenhagen as a thank you.

The Danish still bang on about it, even though they built all the North sea defences for the Germans to shoot down the allies who were trying to rescue them from said Germans in 1940 somethingorother.

It was to "borrow" the Danish fleet to fight the Spanish. The Danes said no, because they knew the English would forget to bring it back, so he went and took it anyway and set fire to Copenhagen as a thank you.

The Danish still bang on about it, even though they built all the Northe sea defences for the Germans to shoot down the alies who were trying to rescue them from said Germans in 1940 somethingorother.
Aaah, the good old British Empire!!

Latest posts

Back