Remedy for vac hose ridges getting snagged? Anyone???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack (W)":2gha3ge9 said:
I saw this solution on the FOG some years ago. I used braided sleeving from CPC, with heat shrink tubing to hold the ends in place, though a bit of tape would probably do just as well:

http://www.easyflip.co.uk/CPC_Digital_C ... ?page=1396

Jack

Hi Jack,

I don't suppose you can remember which size for which size hose and what length you needed?

Thanks

Dave

scubadoo":2dc5s32e said:
Jack (W)":2dc5s32e said:
I saw this solution on the FOG some years ago. I used braided sleeving from CPC, with heat shrink tubing to hold the ends in place, though a bit of tape would probably do just as well:

http://www.easyflip.co.uk/CPC_Digital_C ... ?page=1396

Jack

Hi Jack,

I don't suppose you can remember which size for which size hose and what length you needed?

Thanks

Dave

I did my hose recently with 5m of 40mm size of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111705972548
That was the smaller diameter Festool hose on my CTL midi

Hi Dave,

I bought the sleeving a few years ago for use with the hose that came with my Festool CT22E dust extractor. The hose is 3.5 metres long and has an outside diameter of about 34mm. I can't remember for sure what nominal diameter sleeving I bought, and I no longer have the receipt to refer to.

However I wanted to include both the hose and the power cord within the sleeving, and so I almost certainly bought the 32mm nominal diameter sleeve with the 20mm to 50mm expansion range.

Jack

Festo used to sell a steel pole that stuck in the top of your vac and had a loop on the top you pass the hose through - I still use one on of my SR6 vacs and it helps in some situations. Often though you just have to put an F clamp on the edge of the workpiece for the hose to run against the round wooden handle to avoid snagging. I had some of their original cable to hose clips from about 25 years ago and they were bluddy dreadfull
Matt

I've been meaning to do this too, just wondering does it effect ease of stowing the hose away?

I'd says it make them a tad stiffer but unless you're trying to get an elephant into a mini, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been using mine for a while now and it really makes that horrible judder as a catches/scrapes on a corner a long lost memory. I thought it'd need replacing fairly often but have been surprised by how little it's worn - there's the odd strand that's broke but it doesn't seem to fray wildly out of control.

Coley

Woodmonkey":1uwa3kai said:
I've been meaning to do this too, just wondering does it effect ease of stowing the hose away?
I actually find it easier now - the stiffness stops it from snaking about so much, making it simple to stow. Would definitely recommend it.

But make sure to get longer than you think. I think I got 5 metres, and ended up using it all on my 2 metre hose. The diameter is usually accurate though, and has a lot of stretch

Back