Remedy for vac hose ridges getting snagged? Anyone???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I use my track saw constantly at work along with my vac. The problem arises usually about a third of the way through the cut. No matter where I place the vac or how much slack there is in the hose the ridges on the hose catch on the corner of the work-piece to the extent that it holds the saw back. The hose often can't be coiled on the work-piece, and it's seldom practicle to put it over my shoulder.
I thought of wrapping it with tape, but this would just stiffen it and eventually become dirty and messy.

Has anyone come up with a remedy for this?

Could you raise the vac? Knock up a little wheeled trolley? :?

Ha, probably yeh. Now I'm imagining some mad, Heath Robinson affair with a really long hose suspended on some sort of rigging above the work that slides along on rails with pulleys and at least one flywheel and probably some helicoptor parts involved I need to get out more.

This used to drive me round the bend, not just with track saws but with sanders and routers too.

If you've got a permanent "power tool station" in your workshop then looping the hose (and power cable) up above the workpiece, using a bracket from the ceiling or a crane mechanism, is by far the best solution. For more mobile applications with a track something along the lines of the Festool bracket, that fits on the end of the track and guides the hose and cable along, can help

Festool Bracket.jpg

Attachments

• Festool Bracket.jpg
    Festool Bracket.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,463
Jack's solution looks excellent.

I'm also considering a short bit of curtain pole or broom handle. with pegs that slide into the two T-slots on the track - cheap + effective.

On balance Jack's one is a general purpose fix, as my hoses catch when used on the sander, the saw, the router... (sound of muttering tails of into the distance).

:-(

E.

PS: I always arrange the vac and the 110V transformer to be in the middle of the track length, and if possible at the back of the bench/whatever (i.e. to my left as I cut). So I start the cut with the hose leading off forwards and finish with it trailing. It's not perfect -- you have to catch the hose up at the start of the cut, and it's better on longer cuts -- but once you're going, it's usually fine.

Snaggy hoses are really annoying aren't they? Caused by the obsession with stretchy hoses replacing the relatively smooth braided ones of yesteryear.
I don't have any pictures but I have successfully used 2" plastic drainpipe, slit down one side and placed over the edge of the sheet material being cut or over the edge of the worktable. Works OK but depends what you're cutting.
Duncan

I have had this problem as well, in fact they have caused the board I have been cutting to shoot out from under the rail as the hose got snagged and I put a bit too much forward pressure on the saw. I have mounted a hook on my ceiling where I hang the hose up and over. It works for me as its always in the same place.

I don't know why you don't just wear it, it's what I do.

My saw is a Festool, so the blade is one the right (my dad's was blade on the left, much more sensible for right-handers, I think), so it makes sense to push with the left hand. So the hose goes from the machine under my left arm from behind, round the back of my neck, under my right arm from in front, and away. The hose stays with me as I walk dowwn the track and it doesn't get snagged on anything.

S

I've tried it over my shoulder Steve, it works better, but when I'm on site doing repeat cuts and changing materials round, I forget after a couple of cuts and end up frustrated again. A smooth hose cover will allow me to forget the thing. I'm ordering some of the stuff listed above.

Isn't this what the festool boom arm was designed for.
I think they are expensive for what they are, but should be easy to knock up a home made one.

oakfield":1y0k5wte said:
Isn't this what the festool boom arm was designed for.
I think they are expensive for what they are, but should be easy to knock up a home made one.
Easy peasy at home in the shop, but not on site when at different jobs almost every day.

I have of often used one or two bungii cords hong from the rafters in my garage and they enable me to use a vac connected to a sander and is very comfortable by taking the weight off. I also use it when using the Dremel with flex attachement for the same reason. A rail would work well if you dont have rafters.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bungee-cord-a ... -8mm/94020

Malcolm

For site work the hose sleeve is the only viable option in my experience.

In the workshop I've got a hangy suspendy tracky slidey arrangement (or I did until I just re-arranged my benches - it'll need re-fitting now)

I've f*&ked up so many cuts on site due to snags it drove me to have a proper row at one of the Festool reps at the D&M show - not that it was his fault. It's irritating that Festool haven't designed this problem out of the system. The bracket that Custard mentions sort of works in a lot of cases, but tin the hustle and bustle of site work it gets easily broken and isn't always the answer.

Perhaps this is one for Peter Parfitt to get his uber clever bonce around?

Zeddedhed":2z4nyqe9 said:
For site work the hose sleeve is the only viable option in my experience.

In the workshop I've got a hangy suspendy tracky slidey arrangement (or I did until I just re-arranged my benches - it'll need re-fitting now)

I've f*&ked up so many cuts on site due to snags it drove me to have a proper row at one of the Festool reps at the D&M show - not that it was his fault. It's irritating that Festool haven't designed this problem out of the system. The bracket that Custard mentions sort of works in a lot of cases, but tin the hustle and bustle of site work it gets easily broken and isn't always the answer.

Perhaps this is one for Peter Parfitt to get his uber clever bonce around?

Love the new hat Zed.

Back