Rejuvenating and reclaiming old floorboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think that you'll end up with some pretty thin boards if you try to plane them out dead flat to the same thickness. The whole exercise doesn't really sit with keeping it original. The t&g thing doesn't add much for a lot of effort and gives you narrower boards, and screwholes will look non-authentic.

Just another perspective.

MooreToolsPlease":37n5gk95 said:
After reading your post again, I wondered if it was an over hand planer, or thicknesser in mind?
most of the post seem to indicate use of a thicknesser, but in skilled hands an overhand planer will remove a consistent thickness along the length of a board.
As it is being screwed back down, it doesnt even need to be very straight.
If you go for the spline method, then that will cancel out any variation in thickness of the boards and keep the joints reasonably flush

I'm mediocre with an electric hand-held planer and fairly good with a traditional. Hmmm will think

Jake":37n5gk95 said:
I just think that you'll end up with some pretty thin boards if you try to plane them out dead flat to the same thickness. .....Just another perspective.
For which I'm very grateful Jake

Hi there,

Not got much to add to the debate... just to agree with Scrit's comments about the Pitch. I have to clean the rollers and table (then wax the table) regularly on my thicknesser which has just been eating recycled Pitch Pine pews. I have also experienced a little table scoring from the faces which haven't been resawn.

It is worth the effort though. I have also been amazed by the lack of woodworm. I did wonder if they didn't like PP - though the floorboards in the church (a softwood) have not got any damage either so it could be the general environment they don't like.

You'll also smell of Pitch Pine for weeks! My workshop has a lovely fragrance at the moment.

Good luck, David

Jake,
The planer I meant was a jointer. not a electric hand plane.
In the shop I work at its known as the over hand rather than just a jointer.
Sorry for the confusion

kafkaian":3kak97gf said:
Okay, on the floor of my front bedroom I have some lovely original Victorian 7"-ish floorboards.

1) I don't want to hire out a floor sander to clean them up and remove old paint etc, I'd rather do things properly, pull them all up, de-nail, make good and put them through some sort of planer, before finishing them and screwing them back down. I would rather screw than nail as then I won't be shaking the original cornices and plaster rose of the lower floor ceiling. I don't have a standalone planer but might be willing to invest in something for the future

2) I'd also like to tongue and groove them somehow (currently plain boards) but obviously don't want to lose any width - although I have some spare to make up any ground caused by the gaps in the 150 years of shrinkage. I thought about grooving both sides and inserting a 5mm tongue, but am wondering if I can buy stock readily available to do this.

Any thoughts on equipment for (1) and ideas for (1) and (2) would be appreciated

All the best

Ian
I'd say both these options potentially a disaster.
Best left in place, or new stuff throughout.
Sanding also not so brill - if the boards are bad then you have to take off too much, if not so bad then it doesn't need doing anyway as there is a much better alternative which is washing and scrubbing.
Paint remove first with Nitromors - use plenty of sawdust or shavings and you can get it all up dry with a brush and dustpan. Keep windows open.
Then a floor cleaner (the sort with a tank and a drip feed) using sugar soap or detergent etc. Foaming stuff better as it is less likely to drip through. Follow on rapidly mopping up with clean water. When dry (might need a fan heater for several days) apply oil - various options. We used "Osmo Oil" on ours - seems OK and looks very nice and "natural" as though it's always been like it.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":leo6ux8g said:

Blimey :shock: Thanks J.

I'm now going to put petrol on the damn things and set fire to them

kafkaian":24cc2tpl said:
Mr_Grimsdale":24cc2tpl said:

Blimey :shock: Thanks J.

I'm now going to put petrol on the damn things and set fire to them
The thing is that if you actually get around to lifting all your boards you find that what you've got is a load of scrap wood - some split or broken, nails and nail holes, paint, wear, worm etc. And then a whole lot of effort to try to recycle them.
At which point you realise it'd be much better to get some nice new T&G. Thats when you make the bonfire!
Been there done it etc.

cheers
Jacob

Please don't waste your time, I've just avoided repairing our pitch pine floor because theres only around 50% or less of decent wood left after lifting the entire floor.

You'll be suprised how much damage you do to the boards taking them up and I spent alot of time taking them up as carefully as possible.

I'd reccomend a new oak floor :lol: :p

Back