Refurbished Pine Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have completely sanded the table to remove the old finish which was in a sorry state.
For the new finish I am going to use Chestnut Finishing Oil. I'm new to this, so my query is prior to applying the oil should I just wipe the surface with a Tack cloth? Any advice much appreciated.

I am also trying to source a supplier of Grey NyWeb (a Chestnut product) for applying Chestnut Wax 22. Anyone know of one? The online one which I located (Toolpost) seemed OK until I got almost to the end, when it suddenly said you had to select currency conversion, it had the GB £ total already input with alongside another icon showing US Dollar, so pressed the currency conversion button as it instructed and the window just kept coming back without a conversion rate and it would not allow me to proceed to checkout--gave up in the end.

Cheers Con

Hi
Further to above. Used tack cloth and tried on a piece of waste. Its OK, so have done the complete table (1 coat so far) looks very good.
Cheers Con

Hi Con, Axminster do the webrax version see here as do CSM abrasives here and Chestnut have a list of stockists on their site here

Good luck with the finishing and how about some pictures?

John

Hi John

Thanks for the information. I managed at last to get the NyWeb ordered on the Toolpost site. Don't know what was wrong before, it appears to have now accepted my order.
I have now put on 4 coats of the Chestnut Finishing Oil and the finish is looking quite good, I would describe it as between a mat and satin. I am not sure whether I will put on any more coats as I am quite satisfied with the effect. The next thing is to do the 4 chairs, I am going to experiment and apply Chestnut Clear Wax 22 with Grey NyWeb (couldn't face all the hand sanding here) and see what effect can be obtained. Terry at Chestnut is very helpful and recommended this approach. With regard to pictures I will wait until I have done the chairs and then see if I am able to make sense of how to post them on the site as not too computer literate.
Cheers Con

Back