Refinishing old decking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I painted my deck with "non-slip" paint about 3 years ago. Mistake, I'll put it down to experience. Let's just say it should be called "non-stick" paint because it does not stay put.

So, I'm sanding said paint off on this pleasant Sunday in preparation for oiling it. My questions are can anyone recommend a nifty way to sand the grooves and a clear oil to use as there are a few. I thank you.

Jim

Attachments

• 20220911_115450.jpg
    20220911_115450.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
If it was my deck and thankfully it is not;);) , i would forget about trying to sand the groves as it will take a month of Sunday's to do it, instead use a stiff wire brush and lots of elbow grease, then if needed a quick run over with the sander to remove any bits/splinters that might be sticking up above the tops of the boards after using the wire brush :)

We've tried all sorts on our deck, and have found a pressure washer to be pretty effective. We've tried a clear oil finish with no luck, we're currently on Osmo decking oil, which is thus far, really nice.

I have a deck of 11mx4.5m.....I refinished it with a Lidil's decking product so far 2 years just starting to get thin....
we walk on it every day for 8months of the year.....
If it were mine in the UK with all ur pleasant weather I would u a Sikkens product.....
All there stuff is excelent but not cheap....

Thanks all.

It seems to me there's a possible market here for a specific power tool for this...

Once I've finished sanding the top I'm going to try a paint stripper gel down the grooves and jet wash.

We will see.

I just redid our 30m² deck and laid the boards smooth side up. There was a bit of a web debate on this a couple of years ago.
I think it looks nicer, and will be easier to recoat when the time comes

I just redid our 30m² deck and laid the boards smooth side up. There was a bit of a web debate on this a couple of years ago.
I think it looks nicer, and will be easier to recoat when the time comes
The other side is grooved but they are thin and messed with my eyes!

I can't see any particular problem with flat smooth boards apart from slippage.. but you can easily slip on the grooved side - well my wife can 😆

We painted the tannelised boards with Cuprinol Anti Slip paint. The deck is in full sunlight (towards the south of France, so intense) but the paint seems to stand up well to the uv light.
It can be easily overpainted if needed without a lot of stripping back - unlike some of the other products on the market- as it is absorbed by the wood.
Never had a problem with slipperiness.

No. A few years old so we stripped it back to bare wood with nylon brushes in cheap electric drills (ruining 3 in the process)

Bormawachs Extra Strong Exterior Cleaner followed by their Terrace Oil our Deck Oil HD (Clear or tinted).

Yeah I cleaned and jetwashed it but the decking was about 8 years old by this time. Obviously I didn't prep it well enough for the paint - in any case I wouldn't paint decking again, I like the bare treated look. So far I've sanded it all, sprayed with mould/algae remover then jetwashed. I've gone for Barrentine Decking Oil.

Latest posts

Back