Redundant!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it has finally happened, I am now redundant. I am still employed for the next three months but will be out of work by the 22nd June. Not that I didn't expect it though. Looks like my hand is now forced so maybe it is a blessing in discuise really, we will see. :?

not sure whether to be :cry:
or :lol:

But I'll settle on "well done" :lol:

As you say, you have no choice now but to pull your finger out and set up on your own.
from what I've seen you have nothing to worry about.

PS stock up on Abranet :twisted:

mailee":akfgvzvn said:
Well it has finally happened, I am now redundant. I am still employed for the next three months but will be out of work by the 22nd June. Not that I didn't expect it though. Looks like my hand is now forced so maybe it is a blessing in discuise really, we will see. :?

Yes, it maybe a blessing in disguise. You certainly have the skill and the tools/machines to get up and running in no time at all.

Good luck mate

Cheers

Mike

hi mailee

i remember from previous post you had on here what you and your work mates were put through with that rubbish company , I hope for all of you its a blessing in disguise , and the company go out of business right where they belong. Only thing i don't understand he put you all on a zero hr contract didnt they, how do you work out any redundancy payment on that ?. hc :twisted:

At least now you are in control of your own destiny. I been made redundant several times in my career and have unfortunately been in the position of making others redundant. Wearing either boot has its own difficulties.

Each time I've been zapped I taken it positively and found a new position eventually. Perhaps take the summer off to weigh up options, enjoy the footie and the family. Do something you've wanted to do for a long while but haven't found the time because you been in that cra$$y job.

Good luck!

best of luck, I hope it all works out for you in the long term.
I imagine you now need a workshop or have you resolved the working from the shed issues with the neighbours?

Hi Mailee,
I have on several occasions been in the position of looking for a new job.
I decided the self-employed route wasn't for me, but if you do decide to go that way, I wish you all the very best. You certainly have the talent to succeed.

Malc :D

I been made redundant several times in my career and have unfortunately been in the position of making others redundant. Wearing either boot has its own difficulties.

Ditto! And neither is much fun! Good luck mailee, one door closes as another opens.

Roy.

Good luck and good wishes, as Doc says I hope you've got your workshop issues sorted out

Cheers

Damian

Best of luck, it's crappy situation to be in whichever way you slice it. Having seen your 'shop and output though, I reckon you'll do well going out on your own - Rob

I've had several colleagues go from redundant to "best thing that ever happened to me" surprisingly quickly. I hope it works out for you as well :)

Boz

I don't know you but from the other posts it seems you are a craftsman.

I followed the self employed route 15 years ago and the hardest thing for me was accepting the fact of no more guaranteed monthly salary, no holiday pay, co.car etc. Once I'd got my head around that and set out my stall properly it was ok.

It took me years though before I could stop myself accepting every job offered as in the back of my mind I worried if it would dry up. Didn't matter how much work I had in advance - sort of panic mode I guess!

Eventually I learned that if you produce quality work and value for money (not the cheapest price) you will soon gain a reputation and word will get around very quickly. You need to factor in time for tool maintenance, planning & estimating as well as visits to customers and it's always more than you think.

If you're positive and look busy, then you always will be, customers will wait and are often suspicious of a tradesman who "can start tomorrow" unless you have a very good reason. The best way to be successful is to find a niche market.
And... the customer isn't always right, you just have to careful how you tell them that.
And... be careful to vet your customers before laying out money and time. get some payment up front so they're committed - one bad debt can kill your business flat.

I won't deal with people i don't know or who i haven't been directly recommeded to by customers and if I have any doubts at all, I walk away.

Hope I'm not preaching to the converted, I'm sure you'll do well.
Best of luck fella

Bob

At least you know where you are now, Alan. This thing seems to have been hanging over your head for a couple of years!

Try to look at it as an opportunity.

If you need to find workshop premises, I can certainly recommend looking at the option of sharing with a like-minded woodworker. The cost savings are immense.

Back