Reducing depth of sideboard cabinet - advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stix

Established Member
Reaction score
My neighbors have a sideboard (the veneered MDF type with a hardboard back) that sticks out from their wall too far and have asked me if I could cut it back to sit flush with their chimney breast.

I need to reduce the depth by about 100mm, so my plan was to remove the hardboard back, cut most of the wood back with circular saw or jigsaw and neaten all the edges up with the router whilst the unit is still assembled, then replace the hardboard back and reduce the depth of the shelves & drawer to suit the new size.

Does this sound like an ok way to go about this or do you have any other suggestions or advice?

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
just a few thought off the top of my head.

I did do something similar many years ago, cutting the bottom off an office cupboard to make a printer stand.

Depending on the design of the cabinet when the back is removed a lot of stability may be lost. So holding the unit still while you make the cut may be tricky.

Will you be cutting away the feet as well? Can they be easily repositioned?

Andy

Fundamental to any scheme to reduce the size of this type of furniture is to check carefully how it's put together.
If it's a veneered board construction it's likely to be held together either with dowels, or if it's a self assembly peice, with cam type fixings as used by a certain Swedish store (we won't mention by name). If this is the case you stand a good chance of removing all the rear fixings since they're almost certainly within 100mmm of the back edge. Obviously this could have a profound effect on the stability of the peice unless you replace them further in. Also it makes sense to ensure you don't run any tooling into the fixings.
All in all I would say you'd get a better result if you can dismantle it first and cut the pieces separately, then reassemble with new or relocated fixings where necessary.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Mark

Thanks Andy

Good point about stability. I think I'll make up some sort of corner brace and position it on the areas I am not cutting.

There are no legs on the unit. The side panels come down to the floor and there is a kick board at the front.

Steve

Thanks Mark

The unit is all glued together (I assume with dowels) so I don't really fancy my chances of taking it apart.

For re-assembly I was thinking of putting something like these or these on the corners.

Steve

Steve

What you can do is make some corner blocks with a step cut out of the ends so you can clamp them, to keep the unit stable.

I hope that make sense.

If not I will try to do a drawing in SU for you ( crossing fingers you understand [-o< :wink: )

Thanks for the reply colin

colin c":26p6mmcb said:
What you can do is make some corner blocks with a step cut out of the ends so you can clamp them, to keep the unit stable.

I hope that make sense.

:? erm, no I'm not quite sure what you mean :oops:

steve

Steve

If you cut the corner off a board ( say 250x250mm ), then cut a out a step in the ends level with the sides.
That way you can clamp them inside the unit to keep it square.

Is that clearer :-k 8-[

colin c":1p52n1qy said:
If you cut the corner off a board ( say 250x250mm ), then cut a out a step in the ends level with the sides.
That way you can clamp them inside the unit to keep it square.

Is that clearer

I think so :-k

Would I end up with a triangle with two birdsmouth type notches cut into the longest side :?: Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Would it have to be a fairly thick board?

Steve

Yes
That it Steve and you could just screw two lots of 18mm together and use up some off cuts :).

Plus you can use them if and when you are making some cabinets to keep them square.

Thanks Colin :D

Colin C":1swdvz5m said:
Plus you can use them if and when you are making some cabinets to keep them square.

Another great idea too! I shall make some up right away.

Cheers
Steve

Back