Recycled Table Top - Any Use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been given a table top 5'x3'x7/8". It appears to be made of, I assume hardwood scraps jointed together. Has anyone used similar wood to build something and did you encounter any ispecific problems?

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Thanks

D

Looks almost identical to what I use as a general work table for larger items when I need to be in the garage rather than the work shop.

It sits on a couple of saw horses and has a couple of MDF strips screwed on at a right angle to assist with routing activties.

Yes. This is how a lot of kitchen worktop is made - I have seen it up to 300 cm x 95 cm at 30 and 40 mm thickness in a variety of woods (most commonly beech and oak). Also there are thinner panels at about 18mm thick in oak and pine available from my local builders merchant

I've used this sort of composite timber panelling for a variety of cupboards, doors and drawer fronts. It seems to work well and is a good ecological use of smaller section timber.

I'm sure you will be able to find a good use for the panel. It appears to be well sealed so it should remain flat irrespective of how it is stored. Unsealed new panels need to be kept in their transit polythene until ready for use and should be sealed on both surfaces to ensure they stay flat.

Misterfish

OllyK":1shbtgkw said:
Looks almost identical to what I use as a general work table for larger items when I need to be in the garage rather than the work shop.

It sits on a couple of saw horses and has a couple of MDF strips screwed on at a right angle to assist with routing activties.

When it was sitting on the table, I had thought about keeping it when I need something bigger and it may end up being used for that, alternatively....

misterfish":1shbtgkw said:
Yes. This is how a lot of kitchen worktop is made - I have seen it up to 300 cm x 95 cm at 30 and 40 mm thickness in a variety of woods (most commonly beech and oak). Also there are thinner panels at about 18mm thick in oak and pine available from my local builders merchant

I've used this sort of composite timber panelling for a variety of cupboards, doors and drawer fronts. It seems to work well and is a good ecological use of smaller section timber.

I'm sure you will be able to find a good use for the panel. It appears to be well sealed so it should remain flat irrespective of how it is stored. Unsealed new panels need to be kept in their transit polythene until ready for use and should be sealed on both surfaces to ensure they stay flat.

Misterfish

.... I agree it is a good use for scraps from another operaion. I do want to build a blanket box with dovetailed sides and may use it for that too.

Thanks

D

Back