Recover or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
All was going well:

p6012256.jpg

12" diameter, nice spalting. Some finishing on the outside still to do. inside hollowing nearly done. Then:

p6012257.jpg

A soft bit flew out, leaving me with a gaping hole.

Do you think it's worth tring to patch it, and if so, how? (the walls are about 1cm thick at the moment). If not, whats the best way to smarten up the hole? I dont have a dremel (although thi could be the perfect time... :twisted: )

It's a natural hole so to me who seems to have them in 75% of my work, perfectly acceptable as is. I would personally take the thickness down a bit more though. Certainly not a throwaway and not something to patch.

Pete

Use a bit more thin CA next time if you want to retain the bark inclusions.
I would do a 'Pete' and live with it.

If you must fill it then a bottle of cheap thin CA and some dried coffee grounds will fill it stronger than the surrounding wood.

Mask inside with masking tape, pour in some coffee grounds and drizzle with CA,
Wait until finished fuming and heat dissipated and repeat until cavity filled.

This is typical of similar 'repair'
__

Good advice, thanks. Where do you get large quantities of thin CA? Its so expensive in the likes of Q&B.

Think I’d have to agree with the rest of the people here Wabbit. Defiantly worth keeping, adds a nice little feature to the bowl. Look forward to seeing how you finish it :)

I had the same experience a couple of years back, but I did know that I was going to finish up with said hole. I finished the bowl and didn't even think of trying to fill the hole.

The friend it went to, to celebrate his new house, ws over the moon with it and so was I. It is a piece of elm finished with Danish oil.

DSC07267.jpg

I deliberately turn things that will end up with holes. It isn't a fault (unless it's a hole you have made accidentally :lol: and can add character to bowls and hollow forms IMHO.

pete

robo hippy":375o3wgh said:
If it don't hold soup, it's art.
Anthony 'Yak' Woodnet forums.

Of course, you can charge more for 'art'.

robo hippy

Whether you'll get it in the UK is another matter :cry:

Pete

I use 2 part epoxy with maybe a bit more hardener. I also have saved jars of different colors of sawdust such as maple,bloodwood, black walnut etc. and I mix them into the epoxy with a small putty knife. I also save the fine dust from the belt sander bag and use it as well. It won't dry as quickly as the superglue but is cheap and it works. I use it for flat work on cabinets or furniture as well, and it will usually take a stain.

dennisk":v1p2tf3c said:
I also have saved jars of different colors of sawdust such as maple,bloodwood, black walnut etc.

I have dozens of little plastic containers (ex medication) full of similar, used with CA or cellulose sealer to fill voids/knots etc. indistinguishable from natural features in most instances when used.

I find Darker Contrasts look more natural than poor matches.

CHJ":2qfths4w said:
dennisk":2qfths4w said:
I also have saved jars of different colors of sawdust such as maple,bloodwood, black walnut etc.

I have dozens of little plastic containers (ex medication) full of similar, used with CA or cellulose sealer to fill voids/knots etc. indistinguishable from natural features in most instances when used.

I find Darker Contrasts look more natural than poor matches.

Ditto. also coffee grounds, key filings etc

pete

Back