Record PT107 Fence Removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinP

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Record PT107 a few months ago but until today I haven't had the chance to use it. To lift the tables to convert to thicknessing the instructions say "remove the fence first". Am I being a complete silly person here but how does one remove the fence without getting out allen keys and removing the slide? It won't pull out forwards because the guard is in the way. Has anyone got one who might clue me up?

As an alternative I have worked out a way of removing and replacing the guard arm quickly but surely Record don't sell something hat has been designed by a sadist!

I've modified the guard arm so it can be removed and replaced quickly to allow the fence to come out of its slide. The guard and the fence can now be removed and replaced in about 15 seconds without tools without affecting the function in any way. Looks like it was just a really bad design (or a clever one that I couldn't figure out)

It would not be the first time that a decent machine design has been compromised by the fitting of ill thought out guards.
I'm not saying guards are a bad thing, just that they need designing in from the start and made to function as well as the rest of the machine.

Just look at how nearly all chuck guards fitted to modern pillar drills prevent you seeing exactly where to start the hole!

Very true, it's a shame as the fence itself is good as is the guard but as a combination they make the guard a prime candidate for permanent removal. All I have done is remove the bolt/spacer and locknut that holds it on to the outfeed table and replaced it with a bit of 10mm stud bar and a hand wheel type knob that allows a quick removal when I want to convert to thicknessing. The daft thing is there are less parts with that than with what Record shipped as standard

Back