Record PT-260 Vs KITY 439 Thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Decided to treat myself to a P/T and with a budget of around £600 I'm agonising over the purchase.

I have limited floor space in my workshop-that-was-a-Garage and have most of my gear on castors to 'move' my floorspace around.
I really like the idea of the Record's built in castors, of course it wouldn't take much to add them to a Kity, so has anyone experience good or bad of these two machine (or any other recommendations?) what are their good/bad attributes, noise levels, accuracy, fence stability/material, chip extraction etc. etc.
My thoughts so far;
  • I think they're both induction motors so quieter than the screaming brush motors?
    The Record is very manoeuvrable, but the Kity is slightly smaller in overall floor space (and smaller in thicknessing/planing sizes but I'm ok with that)
    the dust extraction on the Record looks more 'standard' and will fit my 100mmm hose set up.
    Record are in the UK and have been very helpful when I ring them, Kity's website is awful and they have also ignored my email requests for information (and no phone numbers are available either)
    Inc. Delivery I can get the Record for £598 and the Kity for £563 so not a massive difference in price but how much different in spec I wonder?

So I'm already leaning toward the Record but happy to be persuaded otherwise to the Kity or a.n.other (looked at the Axminster, looks just too big?)!

Thank you all, I'm sure there'll be some opinions out there!

From what I can read ...

Kity does max 200mm width with alloy tables and the 1100w motor (1.5hp), weight 41kg
Record 260mm with cast iron thicknesser table. 2.2hp motor, weight 85kg

Seems they are quite dissimilar machines.

I have a SIP 260 (very similar to the record) which has alloy tables but is a good machine and I'd recommend it.

Thank you Roger, I am leaning to the record and pretty sure I know the differences but wandered how good they both were /compared. But that difference in power is significant I reckon? I assume 2,2 HP is around 1,5 kW so OK for normal 13 'house ' supply?

morrissey007":33m2yh3p said:
But that difference in power is significant I reckon? I assume 2,2 HP is around 1,5 kW so OK for normal 13 'house ' supply?

The label on my SIP says 3hp and it runs fine on a 13a plug/socket.

edited

morrissey007":140roeso said:
Great! Thanks Roger :D

I muddled the calculations so edited it as above. The bottom line is that the Record should be fine from a normal domestic socket. After all it's only about the same as a kettle ;)

RogerP":b58vtgp1 said:
morrissey007":b58vtgp1 said:
Great! Thanks Roger :D

I muddled the calculations so edited it as above. The bottom line is that the Record should be fine from a normal domestic socket. After all it's only about the same as a kettle ;)

Thanks, hope I don't get the two mixed up :p

I've gone for the Record, will post a review when I've got used to it if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back