Record PT 260 versus Axminster AWEPT 106

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Shortage of space is forcing me to change from a thicknesser and surface planer (only a perform) to a combined machine.

Had a close look at the Record at Yandles and though it a reasonably decent bit of kit (I so nearly used the plastic!). Easy to change modes and large enough capacity for my needs. 5 year warranty also helps move it up the scoring!! Anyone know how it rates against the Axminster?

Been told in the past that the 106 isn't he most fantastic bit of kit (haven't had a play) but it's about the right price mark for me :D

They do look very similar and I wondered if they were 'related' in terms of cloning from the far east?

Any advice appreciated.

I used to own the Axminster machine (when it was branded Perfom CCNPT) and ran out of patience with it after a couple of years. Of the two, I'd say the Record machine was the better buy, when you compare the specs. and consider the five-year warranty.

Have you considered spending the same amount of money on an old, second-hand machine on eBay? There are often quite a few about. It largely depends on where they are! :)

Had the Axminster version last year, I think it appears in a few brands exactly the same, record been one and SIP been another, seen them all in the flesh and they are defiantly the same overall.

I got rid of it, it was a good machine, always planned well, gave a nice finish and the thicknesser was good. Dust collection wasn't brilliant in thicknesser mode but the reason I got rid of it was that I hated changing modes, it only took a minute but it was just a major pain, have to take one table and one fence off find somewhere to put them and wind the tables up an down to get the dust shroud in. Instead I'm going to buy a Jet260 which the tables lift up with the fence still attached.

I imagine for someone coming from separates to a combi it would be a bit annoying the switch over.

Lord Nibbo":3koqp50r said:
Regarding the Record machine see this thread

Nothing wrong with the machine in itself but that fence drove me to sell it and buy seperates.

I don't suppose that in the years since you had problems they've made any upgrades?

Must admit to not playing with the fence at the time so I'll add it to my list to things to do before considering final purchase.

I am also looking at those two machines. But the best machine for the price, to me, looks like the Axminster AW106PT2 Planer thicknesser with Cast Iron Fence now for 582,75! Cast iron is the key! my pro furniture making bud says that you want cast iron bed+fence. Very, very few if any other machines seem to have a cast iron fence anymore. the pt260 also looks nice but only has a cast iron thicknesser bed. Are the " hardened surfacing tables" steel or aluminum?
Does anyone have any experience with the AW106PT2? Only problem is it's really heavy for my small workshop. By the way, the Pt260 is going for 570 pounds if you buy direct from RP. If you call them, Lee perhaps? you can probably get it for even less.

That's not really true basswood. Cast Iron can be as badly out of true as any other material. Please bear in mind that with that model you have to take the fence off to change to thicknessing mode. Cast Iron is heavy.

True, but the only way to make really sure that any piece of machinery is perfectly true and square is to test and buy a particular machine in the shop. Usually not possible through mail order or shop since most come from a warehouse somewhere or are demonstration models. Cast iron should stay flatter in the long run though if well made and square to begin with. I agree taking the cast iron fence off the Axminster doesn't sound handy. Thanks for the tip. What do you recommend? I have a RP bandsaw from 2000, the EB315 copy and the aluminum fence is rubbish. I have an aluminum fence and table on my metabo/EB pk200 and the right side table/fence alignment is also not perfectly square (machine is brand new) so you can see I'm not a big fan of aluminum (although it doesn't rust in our damp climate).

£582 sounds good until you add on the (compulsory!) delivery of £50.

I wouldn't mind (too much) if it wasn't for the fact I live 20 minutes away and could pick it up in (cough) the wifes car.

Have you checked it out in person? I'm in a dilemma too. 150 kilos is really too heavy for my shop but I want something with decent quality. 60-80 kilos is easier to move around. If you really like it and it's too much for the budget, wait and save up. You'll be happier in the long run. In holland we don't have the choice you do. If it makes you feel better I'd have to pay 120p for delivery.

I've just bought the AW106PT2 at the undiscounted price.

All these machines (Record, Jet, etc) seem to originate from a common source in China.

The Axminster variant has the cast-iron fence. This seems to add somewhat to the overall price.

I've mounted the machine on a "Meccano" wheel set (available from both Rutland and Axminster). The machining of the tables & fence is fine, as is the general set-up, but the indicators for setting planing depth and thicknesser thickness(!) both needed removal & modification to make them usefully-accurate. It's quiet. Converting to thicknesser does require the removal of the fence, which runs on a dovetailed strip of steel held in position by a single knob. Swinging the tables out allows the dust-collector to to be pivoted into the thicknesser position. I guess the main issue here is that you need some slack in your dust-extraction arrangement as it now points in the opposite direction.

John

Personally I find the depth scales on these machines are only indicators, I usually pass a timber through the thicknesser with the scale set either to not cut first time through or hopefully just a skim. Then I work the handle and never look at the scale again on the piece being thickened.
So the scale settings should only be treated as guides?

Just to throw another spanner in the works I've come across the Fox F22-568 for a very good price (£575 with free delivery) and I'm wondering what that's like?

Trouble is it's in Kent so having a play before buying is impossible. It looks identical to the Axminster PT2 with an aluminum fence.

Anyone out there haveone who can comment?

johnbs":2zy1s1am said:
Converting to thicknesser does require the removal of the fence, which runs on a dovetailed strip of steel held in position by a single knob.

I only discovered this a few weeks ago after someone else's comment on here but, if you tilt the fence away from 90°, it is possible to swing the tables up while leaving the fence in place! :shock: Whether you'd actually want to do this or not, I don't know... You'd still need clearance behind the other side of the machine for the dovetailed strip to stick out...

I'd also say that the Fox F22-568 is an identical machine to this model albeit with an aluminium fence. That's what I've got on my AW106PT and it's not bad at all. I can't see much wrong with it and it's a lot better than the fence on most of the smaller machines, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Whenever I'm thicknessing something, I don't worry too much about the accuracy of the cut - if it comes out at, say, 19.5mm then, that's what I'll go with. You rarely need to be spot on to the decimal, even when you're thicknessing something to fit in a groove. By the time you've sanded it down ready for finishing, these dimensions will have changed again, anyway. :wink:

but that also requires you to reset the fence for square every time

OPJ":3eef7ezs said:

I'd also say that the Fox F22-568 is an identical machine to this model albeit with an aluminium fence. That's what I've got on my AW106PT and it's not bad at all. I can't see much wrong with it and it's a lot better than the fence on most of the smaller machines, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Whenever I'm thicknessing something, I don't worry too much about the accuracy of the cut - if it comes out at, say, 19.5mm then, that's what I'll go with. You rarely need to be spot on to the decimal, even when you're thicknessing something to fit in a groove. By the time you've sanded it down ready for finishing, these dimensions will have changed again, anyway. :wink:

Thanks Olly, - slightly nervous about buying without playing even if it is a good deal!

Your last paragraph makes me want to almost worship at your feet :D The number of people who appear incredibly anal about thicknessing to 6 decimal places as if it's some sort of holy grail. Like you I believe in (reasonable) adjustments for particular projects.

I have the PT260 and in general it's an excellent machine, works well and is light on maintenance. My 2 gripes are the fence, I have to check it every time I use it, sometimes it's fine, others it's a major fiddle and the other is the feed rollers. I can set my thicknessing from max to tiny skim and it will still leave indentations in the wood, not the worst problem in the world but you do have to leave enough to plane them away before assembly of your piece.

If I was buying again I'd save a bit more and get the Scheppach

We've had this discussion a couple of times regarding the Axminster machine, ie the fact that the fence has to be removed to change to a different operation. I own a Kity 439 which uses a completely different system and I'm a pondering if something similar could be adapted for the Axminster p/t using a bit of cunning sheet metalworking skills.
The first pic shows both bits of the hood in place for thicknessing:

small1-11.jpg

To change from thicknessing mode to over the top, unlcip the two parts and drop the main shute:

small2-10.jpg

Transfer the bit attached to the hose to t'other end and fold down the shaving collection thingie:

small3-9.jpg

and then drop down the thicknessing table to clip on the front end over the table:

small4-7.jpg

The tables don't have to be moved and neither does the fence,takes about 15secs to change from one to t'other...so could something like this be made in say, sheet ali, that would get round the problems with lifting tables and removing fences? If it could be done, then the main problem (as I see it) with the Ax machine could be overcome. Doable? - Rob

Back