Record Power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodStoat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone - perhaps it's not the done thing for newbs to begin with a denunciation - however, I came across this forum whilst looking for reviews for a replacement, and thought I'd share my experience for make benefit anyone looking for a bandsaw or extractor.

A couple of months ago, I bought the Record 300 bandsaw and the small dust extractor they do to accompany it, and the pair of them have been nothing but trouble. For a start, the extractor, although powerful enough to cope with a 10" thicknesser when working properly, tends to prefer not to work properly. The dust filter is a cardboard cylinder over which you put a paper bag, the whole then being pressed on to the housing of the vacuum motor in the lid. There is no clip, lock, securer of any kind to keep it there, not even a bit of bungee, with the result that the filter regularly falls off and allows chips or sawdust to fountain into the air.

That, however is nothing compared to the bandsaw. Firstly, they sent it without the wheelkit for the stand - when the wheelkit arrived the supporting metal strips do not fit it. There is also no way to secure the swivelling wheels to the stand, unless you clamp the ball race hard enough to bend the housing.

The saw table is not square, and does not secure properly to the mountings, leaving about 5 degrees of play in normal use. The fence is extruded aluminium which fits to a cast iron mounting, which is too low for the table, leaving the end of the fence with a 9 degree elevation into the air, allowing thinner material to slip under it. Drawing the fence back so that it ends level with the blade will partly solve this, but the extrusion then fouls the fence locking knob.

The blade guides are abysmal, and the locking screws on the upper guides shake loose even under no load. The blade wanders wildly with anything thicker than two inch timber, to the extent that I have to allow an extra 5mm planed away just to straighten out the cut (requiring more emptying of the tragic extractor, and a considerable cumulative expense when sawing walnut or similarly priced timber). The final straw came when I was resawing some 6" mahogany, and four grub screws, which had come loose from God knows where, came flying one after the other out of the upper wheel housing. One jammed in the upper blade guide, another ricocheted from the untrue saw table and hit my wife in the face, a third blacked my thumbnail before the fourth went into the cut and bent about half the teeth on the blade.

The only good thing in the while sorry saga is that I got both items from Screwfix, which whilst not very good at sending what you actually ordered, is quick enough (presumably with a skill honed by long experience of being sent back dodgy equipment) to take stuff back, at any rate after five phone calls, three emails, five faxes and a letter from a Barrister.

I shall never buy anything made by Record Power again.

I have to say i am pleased with Records service. I bought the Morticer from Alltools, when it arrived a adjusting lever broke while setting it up and the chuck key was missing. A few emails to the company soon had replacement parts in the post.

i am truly sorry that you have had to endure records scrap. this is no surprise whatsoever and is a topic i was addressing last week. take my advice and only buy machinery that posters all enthuse about. it is simply a case of shoddy build quality at high prices.(due to superb marketing).
glad you got your money back though. tiler99 a lever broke and a chuck key was missing!!!! a few emails!!!! if this were the states(on amazon or something) they couldnt give the junk away. steer well clear.

I see I'm not the only one to experience this sort of thing. Record used to be good, but now everything seems to be made in China by people paid a bowl of rice a day, and who lavish on their products the care and attention that might be expected from people on sweatshop wages. I assume that Record are now trading on their previous good name, an asset that will quickly waste away I hope.

I'm replacing the wretched thing with a small Scheppach and a bench-mounted circular saw with a 3" cut, which will do most of what I require. I now have access, via a friend who drives one, to a big Stenner for anything lumpier. I get most of my timber in 2" anyway.

Serves me right, I suppose, for assuming that good twenty years ago would equal good today. I don't know, power tools today, don't know they're born, in my day etc etc.

Welcome to the forum, WoodStoat.

WoodStoat":23b83v46 said:
I assume that Record are now trading on their previous good name <snip>
Alas, they aren't the first and won't be the last :( Be thankful; you got yours taken back... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I have no complaints about Record, my point is they fixed what was broken or missing without question....as for the company i bought the item off wee thats another story.

Unfortunately Record have slipped from their pedestal. Their name was good, but closing their Sheffield foundry and turning to imports, many from the Far East, have put them into the same position as any other retailer. Being fair to Record though, many other manufacturers have gone the same way, hence the same products being supplied with different paint jobs and labels.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Record, but I have to add my twopenneth, which is that I have one piece of Record kit, an RSDE2 extractor and it's fantastic.

V.

The only piece of Record equipment that I have is one of their cheap lathes. I have to admit to having had a spot of bother with it - it stopped working intermittently. I took the headstock back to the dealer and he swaped it for another no questions asked. Personally I can't fault their service, and I'm not so sure that any of the other machines available in the same price category would have been any better (possibly even less good).

I'm actually toying with the idea of getting one of their bandsaws, but will try to ensure that I have the shop staff set it up for me if I do (dealer only 6 miles away, thats rather closer than the nearest supermarket)

Dod

my initial record experience was outstanding. i had a second hand bm moticer. then a blue sheffield made cl ? lathe both superb, simple and robust with brook crompton motors. both made in sheffield. trading on the past. good buys secondhand though. i am not anti record just a keen advocate of value for money. i think that to ignore smaller companies that can import from china(such as lyndhurst or woodford) offer great value. larger companies offer practically the same machine with a much higher price. it is best to see the american marketplace to see the variety of similar clone machines available.

johnnyb":1wg7p5qr said:
i think that to ignore smaller companies that can import from china(such as lyndhurst or woodford) offer great value. .

Good point. Was very taken by their 200mm planer but looks as if they're all gone :cry:

Wanlock Dod":zh34pqqv said:
I'm actually toying with the idea of getting one of their bandsaws

Be aware that the fence locks with a screw knob rather than a cam lever, and has no scale (and tends to jam). Also, that the machine does not come with roller bearings for the blade guides. That is assuming the rest of it works properly. However, I'd be interested to see if anyone has a better experience of the saws than I have. I might have accepted a replacement, if I'd had time to risk another being no better and having to return that as well.

WoodStoat":je3jdks3 said:
The dust filter is a cardboard cylinder over which you put a paper bag, the whole then being pressed on to the housing of the vacuum motor in the lid. There is no clip, lock, securer of any kind to keep it there, not even a bit of bungee, with the result that the filter regularly falls off and allows chips or sawdust to fountain into the air.

Hi Woodstoat. I had the DX4000 and had the same problem. I fixed it by getting rid of the machine :wink:

Nolan

WoodStoat

The paper bag is quite a lot longer than the filter, and you need to fold the excess back over the top and into the inside of the filter. The whole assembly is then a very tight fit over the motor and does not fall off, in fact I find mine quite hard to get off on purpose.

Which bandsaw are you referring to? I agree about the fence, but the blade guides on mine (BS500) are all bearing'ed.

It's the BS300. And I have tried all manner of foldings and jammings-on of the bag in the extractor, but however carefully I put the top back on, four times out of five I hear the dreaded 'thud' of the thing hitting the bottom of the can. I'm replacing it with an Axminster with a removable collection bag, £30 more for ten times the convenience.

Woodstoat
My only experience of Record is the BS350 bandsaw I have. I had a few problems with this too when I first got it: worst one being the tensioning thread ripping requiring a whole new bolt installed (by me). For me the worst feature of the BS350 are the guides - there are very very cheap imitations of euro guides I think they are called. I've had another set from Record which are better but still rotate out of parallel to the blade! So you set them nice and close and the blade catches one of them which rotates and jams the blade!
Having said all that I haven't had any machine from any manufacturer that hasn't had some problem with it. And Record did deal with my problems. Plus I got a very good deal on the BS350 (~£350 IIRC) and for the money there was nothing at the time that came close. I use the bandsaw mainly for fairly rough work for which it's great.
Good luck.
Cheers
Gidon

Update on the saw situation.

Yesterday, I got a call from one of the senior people at Record, who had seen this posting (Hi Andrew!), and had quickly worked out who had posted it. I was half-expecting him to make all manner of threats over my excoriating post, but he did no such thing - instead he was most apologetic about the situation. I was able to explain the problems in considerable detail, which he understood in detail - he was no PR man, understood the products.

Anyway, there was no problem over the refund, and also I came to believe that I had been exceptionally unlucky in the 'Friday afternoon saw' I had been sent. He also tells me that the blade guide locking and setting assembly has been upgraded since mine was supplied (though not to include roller bearings, which I think with a price tag of £400 would not be unjustified). The extractor, too, has since had the slipping-off issue addressed, he tells me.

He also discussed other items in the range, including the meatier Start-Rite machines, which are still made in Italy rather than China, and offered me a hefty discount off a possible future purchase when in due course I want to upgrade to a machine around the £1000 mark, plus offering some odds and ends if I wanted them (I did briefly consider asking for a No. 6 plane but decided against it on reflection). Also, he offered demonstrations at Sheffield or at a local supplier if I wanted.

So all in all, although the saw was a complete dog, I must say that their service is pretty impressive, and my position on Record has gone from 'never again, not in a million years' to 'perhaps, once I've seen one running and tried it out myself'. I just thought, in the interests of fairness, I ought to point this out, whilst still noting that a better inspection before the item was sent out would have been in order.

I have to admit that I have bought Record products in the past and they have been of very good quality. I now have a Record lathe and the bench top morticer RPM75 and find them brilliant pieces of kit. I also have the Record 3000 chuck in my lathe and find it great for the price I paid. They certainly get my vote for quality. :wink:

interesting development this. power to the forum! unfettered dissatisfaction is very off putting for buyers.!! uk woodworking is a small world. look at ratners for casting doubt upon quality. damage limitation exercises do not improve the machines performance or value for money.

Back