Record Power PT260 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I just bought a Woodfast pt260 which is a knock off the Record pt260. It's decent quality but the boards from planer were coming out with some twist, maybe 1mm rocking on opposite corners. I tried to tune up the infeed table, then outfeed table, then both, then using some shims and in result I think its completly out of control. Would you guys tell me how to set it up from scratch? I'm not sure where should I start, would it be alligning the outfeed table with the cutter and then trying to match the infeed table?

Regards,
Filip

First check the tables are flat and true, then as you say set the outfeed table to the cutter block, not the knifes, and then the infeed table to the outfeed table, remember when planning to keep the pressure on the work on the outfeed table once its past the cutter, when you set up your knives do so with them level with the outfeed table, I use a piece of cut glass.

I must have been one of the lucky ones with my Titon (screwfix) planer I don't have any issues with the planer bit (I don't use the thicknesser I have a Triton lunchbox one) - although if I'm honest I don't know if my technique is wasteful or not and I really don't have that much of an idea how to set it up.

I always lower the infeed beyond where I want and then raise it back up to where it should be. I always square the fence to the top and then I just keep passing the wood over the top until I can hear it taking shavings off for the entire length of the board.

Back