record power cx2000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I brought this dust and chip extractor from record power for my home workshop it arrived and put it all together I brought this to use on my thicknesser as they said it was able to cope with waste from a thicknesser set it up on the thknesser and started the 2 machines thicknesser and cx2000 extractor ran it for a few minutes and the hose 4" filled up with chippings but none in the collection bag I emptied the hose and looked to see what the problem was .
Where the hose goes into the machine there is a plastic grid and the long chippings/shavings will not pass through I emaid record power the told me on the original design there was no grid but when it went into production the grid appeared they tell me the grid is easy to remove but as I got it from the tool store one of records distributors if I take it out and I find that it still does not perform well I want to send it back I might invalid the guarantee I emailed the tool store twice now with no reply what shall I do?

You've answered your own question really.

If you modify something and then it does not work as your expect, you have no leg to stand on with regard to returning it.
If you can get record power to put in writing that such a modification would improve things then maybe the position would be different.

Hi myford man I have an email from record telling me its easily removed but will wait for a reply from tool shop and see what they have to say thats if they bother to reply thanks for your reply I wonder if anyone on here has one of thease extractors

I think by law all 100mm suction inlets have to have a restriction built in to prevent an silly person putting their hand/arm into the revolving fan blades.

The fact that these do not allow large/long wood shavings to pass through without trapping a significant proportion of them and blocking the inlet is obvious.

The fact that your extractor pulls enough debris in to cause the safety grid to block the inlet indicates that it will do the job of transporting large shavings that you require.

I've always removed such obstructions before using such equipment, but I do make sure that power arrangements are such that hand access to the inlet is not possible whilst plugged into to the normal supply socket.

You will always have the occasional problem of having to remove the same sort of blockage/fan stalling debris from the centre of the impellor, and you can't do that with the grid in place.

One could challenge the basic design with record as not fit for purpose as it has to have the grid to comply with H&S due to proximity of revolving blades to the open port but is unusable for chippings as advertised, but at the end of the day there is only one way to get such a design to work.

To be safe the inlets need to be a solid tube longer than arm reach to the fan and interlocked to stop the motor running if removed to clear a blockage, but it's never going to happen with this budget level equipment.

hammer n nails":1nvhe5gg said:
Hi myford man I have an email from record telling me its easily removed but will wait for a reply from tool shop and see what they have to say thats if they bother to reply thanks for your reply I wonder if anyone on here has one of thease extractors

I'm pleasantly surprised to read that you got this in writing. Normally elf n safety fears prevent companies from suggesting such measure are overridden.
These little extractor normally work quite well if you keep the hose short and take the extractor to the machine. I had an axminster one for a few weeks (bought as part of a package of other stuff) which I re-sold but it seemed quite good.

I did read somewhere (here?) very recently about the shavings from planing beech being particularly prone to blocking extractors.

If you continue to have problems then may be consider a drop box interceptor?

Good Luck

MM

Back