Record power cl2 …owners manual?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picalilli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, don’t suppose anyone has a link or could possibly share an owners manual for the record power cl2 lathe?

Got one second hand but would like to know my way around it.

Strangely doesn’t seem to have a cavity to use a knock out bar so you have to just wedge things out…

Yes, the headstock is solid not hollow. Instead of a knockout bar you use a thread protector which loosens the drive when it is unscrewed.

Attachments

• Lathe - Record CL2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Ah great - thanks for linking the manual.

Is it still easy to get replacement parts for these? Like new belts if they are needed etc?

Thanks - it does seem like a good Lathe. I’ve been enjoying using it (although I’m a total beginner and haven’t got a clue!)

Things like that is what I wanted the manual for. Took me a while to figure out how to hold the bar in place while unscrewing a face plate. I assume it’s just the square bit of shaft under the pulley cover? Or is there a locking lever somewhere? Do you find spare bands etc easy to source for it?

Any tips, info, tricks for this lathe and generally greatly appreciated!

On the CL1 there is a couple of flats on the drive shaft just behind the threads and a spanner that fits to hold it when loosening chucks, etc.

Now you have your lathe it's time to spend :oops: You can spend a lot, but not necessarly, but I would advise getting the best you can. There's a boat load of info on here about the tools and places to get them from. It's a slippery slope and I'm still on it after 25 years or so! And I love it.

I did a brilliant mod on mine by fitting a 3ø motor and controller/inverter from Drives Direct. Variable speed and reversible. Now the only time that I need to change the drive belt around is if I need very slow speeds with more torque and it will go down to just a few RPM.

I can't really think of any real tips on the lathe itself? As far as the gouges and chisels are concerned I would advise getting HSS tools and keep them sharp. I have a Wolverine OneWay sharpening system and I find it very good and easy to use

On the CL1 there is a couple of flats on the drive shaft just behind the threads and a spanner that fits to hold it when loosening chucks, etc.

Now you have your lathe it's time to spend :oops: You can spend a lot, but not necessarly, but I would advise getting the best you can. There's a boat load of info on here about the tools and places to get them from. It's a slippery slope and I'm still on it after 25 years or so! And I love it.

I did a brilliant mod on mine by fitting a 3ø motor and controller/inverter from Drives Direct. Variable speed and reversible. Now the only time that I need to change the drive belt around is if I need very slow speeds with more torque and it will go down to just a few RPM.

I can't really think of any real tips on the lathe itself? As far as the gouges and chisels are concerned I would advise getting HSS tools and keep them sharp. I have a Wolverine OneWay sharpening system and I find it very good and easy to use
Thanks for this. I actually got quite a bit with the lathe - various hss tools (good ones too, Henry Taylor, sorby, marples etc). A 4 jaw chuck, extra rests, drill chuck adapter, hole saw/forstener type bits. So I’ve got most of the stuff I need to get going (bought a face mask and respirator).
Main thing I need is some kind of sharpening set up. Was looking at the sorby pro edge…pricey though!

If you already have a grinder these are probably the cheapest jigs for gouges. They will also cope with parting tools & skews but not scrapers which are probably best done on a flat platform or the small rest that comes with most grinders.
- gouge sharpening jig: Search Result | eBay

Back