Record Power 5 Year Guarantee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughcut

Established Member
Reaction score
If you buy a Record Power Machine just be aware that the widely advertised 5 Year Guarantee is only applicable to the original purchaser.
The 5 year Guarantee will cease once there's a transfer of ownership through a private sale. :roll:

I thought that was the case for most second hand goods, guess it depends on the T/C's. You would like to think if it is still within guarantee period it should not matter who the owner is.

cammy9r":2zu1hgv6 said:
You would like to think if it is still within guarantee period it should not matter who the owner is.

Yep, but unfortunately not so.

Recently I contacted Record to ask about 5 year guarantee regarding electrical equipment on SC4 Lathe
reply;-

Yes I can confirm that our 5 year Guarantee does include the electronics.

Which is a comfort on this cold Saturday morning :)

Isn't this non-transferrable guaranteed business a banned practice in UK these days? I thought yes.

A completely different kettle of fish, but exactly the same principle - a passenger aircraft which is leased, not owned by the airline involved, which has work paid for by the owner (the Lessor, not the airline involved), gets a guarantee from the work provider. That is largely useless to the owner and needs to be transferred to the benefit of the airline using the aeroplane. For years it was always a big hassle during contract negotiations to get that benefit transferred, but a few years back UK law changed, and UK work providers were no longer allowed to make that stipulation.

As said, a different kettle of fish completely, and of course, much more money involved (sometimes millions) but also exactly the same principle.

I wonder what UK law for such "consumer" products is now? Worth checking?

AES

Here's a reprint from a site called WhitegoodsHelp - I would imagine the laws must be the same -

There’s isn’t even a legal obligation for products sold to have any guarantee. They are just additional benefits used to give more confidence to a potential customer to help facilitate a sale.

Of course it’s impossible to imagine any product not coming with one these days. Some appliances come with even longer guarantees than the standard 12 months.But the the promise of guaranteeing the appliance will be a contract between the manufacturer and the original purchaser. Some guarantees can be transferable, for example a guarantee that comes with double glazing or some building work may be transferable if the house is sold. Generally though it seems that appliance guarantees aren’t likely to be transferable.

Interesting phil.

I know that UK will "soon" no longer be an EU member, but at present, EU law stipulates that all "consumer goods" must have a three year guarantee. This is a big area of "discussion" here right now, (Switzerland - not an EU member) because if you're lucky you get 2 years here, and there's a big move to "harmonise" with the EU. No idea if it's transferrable or not though.

Back to my post (above) about transferrable guarantee benefits - as said, a much different matter, involving lots more money, so I guess that change of UK law only affected the sort of stuff I was talking about above.

About guarantee periods - Aldi and Lidl here give the same 3 years as (I think) every other country, not our usual (Swiss) 2 years. Re transferring the benefit if the goods are sold SH though, I GUESS that one would only have to front up at the shop with the original till receipt for their 3 year guarantee to work? After all, the till receipt doesn't name the buyer. I wonder what would happen if the new buyer turned up at a different branch than the original buyer bought from though?

AES

AES

Back