RECORD No.77 Shoulder planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnd

Reaction score
Has anyone got any pics of RECORD 77 shoulder plane and does anyone know where I can buy a replacement plane for the 77?

Hi John,

I'm not familiar with the Record 77. Can you post a picture?

You don't mean the Record 073 do you? Lie-Nielsen do a knock off of the 073, they also make a replacement blade for the original Record 073.

I think you can get the same blades on Ebay to, you might get it a bit cheaper but I am not sure. So you will have to look :) .

Bean":is10cl04 said:
WOW I picked one of those up for a tenner last year :shock:
82 quid is a bit steep for a 77a in the UK (the 77 has a fixed nose unlike the 77a which is removable). £30 to 50 is a better range. I would not pay £80 for anything less than a mint nickel plated example. If yours has no chips off the corners of the mouth then you have a real bargain - well done!

Johnd - as well as the Ray Iles, if you call Clifton, the blade for their 3110 may fit the 77 with a bit of fettling. But if the original has more than 5mm of blade left, it will probably last you 10 years anyway!

Tony Murland has interesting ideas of what constitutes a reasonable price - i.e. Everything costs a bomb. But from a 'Murrican perspective he's apparently very good and as that's his market... But Brits beware; there are much more affordable dealers to approach first.

And just in case no-one else followed the second link I put up ( [-X Peter. :lol: ), the Clifton blade won't fit.

Cheers, Alf

Jarviser":3af47eko said:
82 quid is a bit steep for a 77a in the UK (the 77 has a fixed nose unlike the 77a which is removable).

Record did a naughty. With seeing one, you can't tell wether a #77 has a removable nose or not.

Because...

In the beginning was the Record #77 with fixed nose.

Then there was the #77a with a removeable nose and adjustable mouth.

(a) The record rationalised their range and dropped the fixed nose model.

(b) The removable nose model was given the designation #77.

I don't the how the dates for (a) and (b) relate to each other, wether there was a lag, or what, but I assure you, you can find planes marked #77 with removable noses.

Thinking about it, Record did something VERY similar with the #50; there used to be an add on for the narrow blades, then the add on was included in the #50a (as opposed to the #50), and eventually they just made the model with the add on "standard", and called it the #50 again.

BugBear

Many thanks to all who helped, it is a 77 with adjustable mouth and is in remarkable condition I can't send a pic as I've broken my xxxxdy camera.

The sides of the body have dimpled finger grips, the front is not removable. Many thanks for all the help.

bugbear":2zawslmd said:

I don't the how the dates for (a) and (b) relate to each other, wether there was a lag, or what, but I assure you, you can find planes marked #77 with removable noses.

I have a Record 077 which I bought new in the early 1970's and it has a removable nose and shims so that you can adjust the mouth.

Paul

Gee, I have the Preston version, removable front, adjustable mouth...

top_drawer.jpg

Points given for finding it in the drawer.

Take care, Mike
p.s., the points aren't redeemable :lol:

mike no wonder you had to beat up the bear to get the maple and his
pizza, with all those bits of tln stuck in a drawer.

right hand side next to tln mitre plane i guess
but then have been known to be wrong ALL the time :lol: :lol:

i'll take a saw handle with my points :twisted: :twisted:

paul :wink:

engineer one":1i6x6ugs said:
mike no wonder you had to beat up the bear to get the maple and his
pizza, with all those bits of tln stuck in a drawer.

right hand side next to tln mitre plane i guess
but then have been known to be wrong ALL the time :lol: :lol:

i'll take a saw handle with my points :twisted: :twisted:

paul :wink:
Old picture...the miter plane was sold ](*,)

Yeppers, right behind the infill shoulder plane--which I still have :wink:

But alas, the points aren't redeemable. It's a good little plane. I don't use it a whole lot, and when I do it is often sans front. Heck, I have been known to use it as a block plane when it's out and at hand...

Take care, Mike

Mike-now that is a totally un-necessary gloat.
Fun though! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D
Who's been known to get the occasional gloat in......

Philly":2taanfza said:
Mike-now that is a totally un-necessary gloat.
Fun though! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D
Who's been known to get the occasional gloat in......
Yeah, well an anti-gloat, really. The 98/99 pair, the L-R 95 pair and the miter plane are gone. As are the LN spoke shaves. And the small LN chisel plane.

And you should see how descimated the next drawer down is...

Yep. Anti-gloat. I do have a couple saws, though... :roll:

Take care, Mike

Peter

82 quid is a bit steep for a 77a in the UK (the 77 has a fixed nose unlike the 77a which is removable). £30 to 50 is a better range. I would not pay £80 for anything less than a mint nickel plated example. If yours has no chips off the corners of the mouth then you have a real bargain - well done!

No chips almost a full blade and minor scuffing to the plating on the sole, it also has a removable nose with a shim. Cracking little plane which I use lots.

bugbear":xmt7evas said:

Assuming Harrison has it right, which is apparently a dangerous assumption to make but until John Horobin stops playing with cacti and gets out a book on the subject we haven't many options, but assuming it's right:

1933 - 077 & 077a introduced
Out of production in 1943 but in catalogue until 1952 - 077 (presumably he means the fixed mouth one?)
1994 - 077 discontinued.

And that's the lot except for a bit of a type study - the playing about with the suffix isn't even mentioned, nor for the 050. Frankly I think he's a bit slack on the detail :( Anyway, fwiw, allegedly:
076, 077 and 077A Bullnose planes:- Early examples of these planes had a small triangular shaped panel recess on each side of the plance which had a chequered pattern cast in it. However this feature doesn't appear in any catalogue photographs which always show the planes with flat machined sides. Later models appear as depicted in the catalogues. Early 076 lever caps had RECORD BRITISH cast in the top and highlighted in orange paint on the blue enamel. The 077 and 077A had the same words high-cast into the top of the lever cap. In 1969 the lever cap of the 076 and 077A had been redesigned with a more modern profile and no name cast into it.
Cheers, Alf

Hi,
You should find two shims between the removable nose of different thicknesses, they are usually missing but mine has both and a repair in the usual place, its square and flat and was cheep so I don’t care what it looks like.

Pete MBD

Latest posts

Back