record no 043,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
i now have a metal plow, the bit that hold the irons in place, iron cap? does any one have one for sale? or know where i can get one, cheers

tobytools":28mw3jaq said:
i now have a metal plow, the bit that hold the irons in place, iron cap? does any one have one for sale? or know where i can get one, cheers
Yes. Steal the one off your Record 044 :mrgreen:

But seriously, they tend to go missing and are in short supply. Bugbear has a drawing of one somewhere if you want to try to make one from scratch (PM him if he doesn't see this thread).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":vekq7fhb said:
tobytools":vekq7fhb said:

But seriously, they tend to go missing and are in short supply. Bugbear has a drawing of one somewhere if you want to try to make one from scratch (PM him if he doesn't see this thread).

Cheers, Vann.

thanks vann. ill pm him,
cheers toby

Hi toby,

I have a Russian clone of Record 043. This is upon German planemaker Gerd Fritsche (http://www.traditional-handplanes.com/). I've ordered blades from Gerd Fritsche.

So it seems to me that details you need are the same at the Record 043 and at the my Russian clone made by Voskow plant.
In the following link http://forum.woodtools.ru/index.php?topic=9994.225 you will find (answer 237) a view of Russian Record 043 clone and (answer 243 - a drawing of detail you need and its photo).

Regards,
Sergey.

Vann":5o4h12fs said:
tobytools":5o4h12fs said:

Cheers, Vann.

http://web.archive.org/web/200612250622 ... d.html#044

BugBear

Thanks every one, I will attempt to make one but if It goes balls up I'll just buy it. This should be a laugh,
cheers again. Great help
Toby

I bought an 043 off e-bay a few months ago, largely because it seems to be much lauded on here and I wanted to try it myself. It seems like a good one - all bits, cutters and box present and correct, and not too much rust, all for £8 +p&p.

I have only tried it out in scrap wood, not used it in anger on a project yet, but I am struggling slightly to, erm, fully appreciate it. Am I missing something ? The blade clamping arrangement seems poor to me; fiddly in the extreme, the screw clamping down directly on the cutters tends to move them whilst tightening, and in the case of the smallest cutter it is difficult to clamp at all. Combined with the ease of loosing bits. and the lack of a screw adjuster (I know purists may not like them), I imagine that it is great it you mostly stick to one size cutter and don't change/adjust it too often. I am perhaps too used to using my 050C, which, once you've learned to bear the horror of a plastic handle, I find nice and easy to set up/adjust.

Hi, Tony

You need some short fence rods, 7mm silver steel I think is the size.
It makes them much easier to handle, add an extended fence made from a nice bit of hard wood, and off you go.

Pete

Back