Record Marples no.3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCviolin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first post on this forum...
I have an old Record Marples no.3 that's pretty decent but it has no chip breaker.
Had a search and found Veritas ones that cost more than the plane, and rusty old
ones on ebay.

Are there other chip breakers to fit the no.3 that are worth buying ?

Cheers.

Hi Ben, in case you don't know chipbreaker is an alternative name for the cap iron. Chipbreaker is more commonly used on the other side of the pond.

AFAIK the Record Marples is a fairly standard Stanley Bailey clone, so any cap iron from a Bailey clone plane with the same width cutter should fit yours. The no. 3 is unfortunately not the most common size, cutter width is 1 3/4", so finding one won't be as easy as finding a replacement cap iron for a no. 4. Normally I'd suggest trying a few car boots to see if you can buy a cheap donor plane but I've never seen a no. 3 in the wild in Ireland so that might ultimately be a fruitless search.

The rusty old ones you saw on ebay, if the price of any of those suits you then don't let the rust bother you too much. It's quite simple to return a rusty tool to serviceable condition and even what looks like very heavy rust can make very little difference at the end of the day.

With a cap iron you would probably want to fettle the front anyway (undercutting the leading edge and making the front angle steeper) and that will naturally deal with any pitting there might be in that area. Cap irons are made from mild steel which is much softer than tool steel so this is very easy work and shouldn't take longer than a couple of minutes, either using a file or whatever sharpening media you use.

Thanks for the tips Ed

It came from the market in Newark, got loads of great tools there in the 90's.
I'll leave it to gather dust / acquire patina until the relevant chip breaker turns up on ebay.
In the meantime I have the new Stanley SW panes, which are great but for the aluminium cap irons.

Cheers.

You could make a cap iron from a piece of 3 mm cold rolled mild steel plate. Bend it before cutting it to lenght and use whatever fine thread tap you can find for the screw hole.

I have made two cap irons and both turned out all right.

Back