Record CL2 Headstock play

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a small catch this afternoon that put the Lighthouse I was working on out of balance, was still secured in the jaws fine, but when I turned the lathe off noticed that I could move the headstock vertically up and down with about 1mm of play, I take it this is not the way it should be, does anyone with a bit more experience reckon this is a headstock bearing on its way out, and should I just order the bearing or is it going to need a full kit ?

Thanks

I think you can adjust the tightness of the bearing on this lathe (which I also have, but it may be a different model) by a locking nut on the spindle, inside the headstock enclosure. You may have just loosened it with the catch. Tighten it up till it is just free to turn, then lock, and check that it is not too tight (stiff).

I can hold the chuck and move the whole thing up and down, I have the cover plate off and can see the shaft moving up and down a bit with it.

Will have a look for a tightening mechanism have the manual, just never occurred to me that you could tighten it down.

Cheers

Well found the page in the manual, although could not get it to tighten to a point where I couldnt rotate the shaft and then notch it back, it did seem to take the play out of it, too tired to turn anything tonight, but will give it a good test tomorrow, thanks for the replys and apologies for not searching the forums thoroughly before posting, this has been covered a few times previously by the look of it, just jumped to the wrong conclusion and wailed on in there.

Theres definitely something not right, can loosen the top nut off, but the bearing wont rotate either way more than a couple of mm, talked to my dad who owned the lathe before me and he never adjusted it in the 15-20 years he had it, I've noticed a few witness marks on some of my stuff no matter how fine and smooth a cut I make, put it down to lack of skill which may be the case, but this isn't helping, thinking of ordering a full kit from Rutlands, cant be without it coming up to xmas :(

Apologies if you aware of this.
The bearing does not rotate. It has a keyway that is pegged by a grubscrew situated at the back of the head casting. Do not attempt to remove the grubscrew with the bearing in place as it is has a rectangular profiled tip that engages the bearing keyway. Adjustment of the bearing is simply a matter slackening the outer locknut and tightening the inner one to draw the bearing and shaft cones together. Judicious tweaking of these adjustments is required to get a perfect balance.
If you get no satisfaction, unscrew the inner locknut and tap out the shaft and bearing to see if irreparable damage has occurred. My bearing was badly scored but I was able to machine it and it runs fine now. Its been a while since I had mine apart so I hope this advice is accurate. Have the manual handy. Rutlands...I don't think so!
The old records are gems. Good luck mate.
Bob

Morning Lexx

If the bearing on the CL2 is like that on the CL3, you can download a manual from the Record Power site. (You may have to register.)

RP told me to get the bearing warm and adjust it till you can just turn the spindle between your thumb and forefinger. They also said that the bearing and the front of the headstock will get warm during use, and that there will be a film of oil escaping from the outside of the bearing.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/support/page/manuals

Cheers

Dave

Thanks guys, I have the original manual here, sorry its not the bearing im trying to rotate, its the second lock nut that will only turn a mm either way and certainly wont tighten, i'll have another look at it tonight, will need that second locknut released if I have to replace it anyway.

I've just changed all mine, if you need any photos or help just shout. My internal lock nut came out no issue, used a piece of brass to knock it round in one of the notches.

Getting the rear bearing and spindle apart was a nightmare, took a lot of persuading. Turns out the rear bearing was shot along with the belt and main bearing so I just bought the kit.

With it all apart I found the spindle would move within the bearing and there was plenty of wear inside, I just decided to change it all.

Latest posts

Back