Record 778, Replacement Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Frank. I didn't know Lie Nielsen did irons for the 778, I can't find a UK distributor for these particular blades so I've just e-mailed LN in the USA to see what they'd advise.

The L-N blade is about twice as thick as the Reord original, this closes the mouth to a useful extent and makes it less prone to chatter. As it is made for cryro A2 the edge retention is far superior. The thicker iron allows a Kenovian hollow ground single bevel which makes honing a breeze; not the easiest blade to hold in a guide.
Jon.

I have the LN replacement for the #778. It is an excelent blade but not significanty better than the original Record (in other words, the Record that came with mine is also excellent and, had I realised this, would not have bought the LN). Nor is the LN that much thicker actually. I don't have it to hand to check, but I can do if it is important to you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’ve done it for you Derek. The original Record blade on my quite new #778 is 1.4mm/0.055” once the back has been flattened and the lacquer removed. The L-N replacement blade is 3.31mm/0.130” which needs nothing more than a polish to the back. Which supports my original impression of the replacement being ‘about twice as thick’ as it is actually slightly more so.
What may be relevant is my 778 has very bright blue paint, has ‘Record Irwin’ cast in but no mention of being made in England. The Blade is stamped ‘Record’ but without the usual Record additional ‘crucible cast tungsten steel/tungsten vanadium steel’ etc. I feel sure it must therefore be one of the eastern ‘Record’ produced products. It seems very likely earlier blades will be both thicker and hold an edge better.
That said, my Woden W78 and Stanley #78 both dating from the fifties are also much better tool for the upgrade L-N blades. The Stanley upgrade version fits the Woden BTW.
Jon.

Hi Jon

After you posted this I had a look at my Record #778. Mine is a dark blue in colour. The LN blade is indeed about twice as thick as the original. In my experience, the original cuts as well as the LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back