Record 405 plane help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a lovely old Record 405 plane. Lovely piece of kit, and does an excellent job of most things now that I have got the blades sharpened up. I don't know what the steel is that they used for the blades, but it's as hard as ******. I tried initially hand sharpening as I believe they should not be hollow ground. At 20 minutes a blade, life was too short. The wet stone is not much more efficient, but at least I did not damage the toned physique. So they are all now hollow ground!!

Unfortunately the plane is missing the locking screw for the micro adjustment of the fence, does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement?

The other niggle is that I cannot work out how to separate the two,parts of the fence. The main micro adjusting screw has been thumped in its life and is a little bent, it works, but does not have a nice movement. I thought that perhaps you adjusted the the micro screw to maximum and the fence would just come off, mine doesn't. The screw may be sufficient bent to prevent say the last half turn which may be the issue. If so, any suggested remedies......can you buy an adjuster screw anywhere. It looks to have a two pitched of thread one which is RH and other which is LH

I have seen that on the US eBay site they have bits for the Stanley 45 plane available, does anyone know if they will interchange with the Record 405?

Really appreciate any help

Here is a general view of mine, which has the good fortune not to have been thumped.

F2DC67A9-CE0F-4B23-8B04-46D240E7E1B6_zpsirenwnjx.jpg

The fine adjuster for the fence is as you describe; the centre knob has a fine rh thread and a coarser lh thread. In use, you just make sure the locking screw is slacked off, then twiddle the knob. It should just work without complications. I've never needed to dismantle mine, but it might be clearer if you unscrew the wooden fence.

8DA04399-4AF6-401C-A409-ABDAC826B941_zpspfxamwjm.jpg

The locking screw is 3/16" 28tpi which is one of those non-standard threads used by Stanley and copied by Record. The only positive part of that is that a spare screw for a Stanley 45 or 55 would fit.

510BA864-1085-46F7-8253-34C1937982CB_zpsh0eattai.jpg

Send me an email via the Contact link on www.hackneytools.com, and I'll add it to the wish list I have. I'll be picking up some big batches of tools over the next few weeks, so if anyone is on the lookout for anything, please do same and I'll try me best to find it for you.

Kind regards and happy new year.
Gary

www.hackneytools.com

Thanks All.

That's really appreciated. Your fence Andy looks to be in brilliant condition. God bless Stanley and Record for making life easy to keep the old tools working!! I've emailed Gary and have my fingers crossed. I will check the WEB sites TT has suggested. The plane works brilliantly and the fine adjustment isn't really necessary for me.......but I like to have my tools complete and fully working as they were intended. It will erk me until I get the bits replaced.

Many Thanks John

just an update.

I spoke to Gary at Hackeny Tools, and within a few days all of the parts I was looking for were arriving through the post. I was very happy with the price I paid, and service cannot be faulted. I would highly recommend him for anyone looking for either bits to make up a tool, full tools or anything woody.

The contact is
http://www.hackneytools.com/

Back