Record 300mm / 12" disk sander woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
Just musing somewhat. Having stupidly binned (in a house move) a really heavy duty 12" disk sander made years ago by my FIL, I bought a Record one last year.

When delivered the brake fitment did not fit, a new one was sent and I had to modify that to fit. The machine has had very little use (maybe 4 or 5 hours in total) and this last week I was using it to round off some oak dowel pegs I was making.

Machine was sluggish to start, took ages to get up to speed, and was easily slowed by work pressing against the disk. Rang Record, and they sent a new starter capacitor (but no connection crimps). Soldered in new capacitor, machine ran long enough for me to do 16 pegs (not long), then blew the workshop RCD. Complete motor failure by the look of it. Rang Record and they offered to send a replacement motor or have the machine back for repair. I didn't fancy replacing the motor myself and running the risk of being teh cause of a future problem.

These things always happen when you actually need the machine! Clearly they will honour their guarantee.

However, I can't help feeling that this machine is rather feeble and not brilliant quality. Does not take much work pressure to slow it down.

So - what should I have bought? I need a reliable machine, with powerful enough motor and dust extraction port. I may get the Record fixed then sell it on (effectively it will be a new tool), and replace with a better tool. Recommendations welcomed.

I have what was at the time the cheapest made by Axi, about £100, it has done well for about 9 years now and does some really heavy work sometimes.

that is disappointing. I was looking at the record myself.

I've had the Record Power one for a couple of years and not had any issues with it, either with power or reliability. Hopefully yours gets sorted through the warranty.

Just my two penorth, I bought a record 12 inch jobbie from Yandles spring bash either 2 or 3 years ago and have had no issues with it at all. Not had a very heavy use in the sense of big lumps of oak, but has been used very regularly with no problems at all. I would buy again.

Hello,

These things are frustrating, but you need to be level headed. There was actually only one fault with the machine, it just took 3 attempts to solve it, which artificially makes things seem worse than they are. If the overall functionality of the machine was acceptable to you, then let Record replace the motor and likely you will have a reliable machine for moderate use, for many years. If not you'll have to stump up a lot for something more industrial.

Mike.

Have had the record for some time..i give it a good workout from time to time and have had no issues..maybe just a bad motor from the start??????

Well Record told me they would arrange to collect the machine. That was several days ago and I have heard nothing since. Not impressed so far.

Update on poor Record service.
Record told me they would contact me for pick up of the machine. Pallet lorry arrived without any contact and by pure chance I was there.
A week goes by with no information so I phone Record to ask what is happening. They tell me that they rang last Friday and left a message on my phone. I pointed out that my phone has no message service and the only person who could answer it was me. Bizarre really.
Machine will be sent back with a new motor "within the next few days" but they can't say when. As I work full time I can't hang about for a few days on the off chance that Record will turn up on one of them. Record guy was rather stroppy when I said I needed him to tell me the day. If I was retired and home a lot it would be less of a problem - I don't think it is unreasonable to conform a delivery slot )axminster have no problem doing this), but Record insist that it is not their problem and they leave it to their chosen pallet company.

It will be interesting to see what happens. What will definitely happen is that I will avoid buying Record in future, I am too wary of quality and service issues now.

AJB Temple":vygtvans said:
Update on poor Record service.
Record told me they would contact me for pick up of the machine. Pallet lorry arrived without any contact and by pure chance I was there.
A week goes by with no information so I phone Record to ask what is happening. They tell me that they rang last Friday and left a message on my phone. I pointed out that my phone has no message service and the only person who could answer it was me. Bizarre really.
Machine will be sent back with a new motor "within the next few days" but they can't say when. As I work full time I can't hang about for a few days on the off chance that Record will turn up on one of them. Record guy was rather stroppy when I said I needed him to tell me the day. If I was retired and home a lot it would be less of a problem - I don't think it is unreasonable to conform a delivery slot )axminster have no problem doing this), but Record insist that it is not their problem and they leave it to their chosen pallet company.

It will be interesting to see what happens. What will definitely happen is that I will avoid buying Record in future, I am too wary of quality and service issues now.
Well I would be equally miffed with that service. What I find odd is that it is so at odds with the service I had from them when I bought my PT from them. The delivery got messed up by the delivery company (other than using a rubbish company it was not of Record's making) but they bent over backwards to fix it and as a good will gesture sent me a spare set of blades for free. Most odd.

Terry.

The thing that I find most odd is that the machine is less than £200 including VAT. The cost of pallet collection, repair and redelivery must be more than the wholesale cost of another machine. Plus they get one brassed off customer, who tells all his mates and never buys another thing from them. Does not seem all that smart. Oh well, we shall see what it is like if or when it finally returns.

So here is the end of the story. It was returned today and my wife, who has special skills with men, persuaded the pallet guy to lug it 200 metres from the house to my workshop. Luckily I was at work. If I were you I would try to avoid doing anything for my wife as you get talked into stuff you never intended.

Record replaced the motor, capacitor unit and switch and fitted a new sanding disk (thank you). From a quick test, it is obvious the original machine was always faulty as it now starts instantly and more importantly has plenty of poke that it never had before. So all is well that ends well and although I had some hassle they did honour their (domestic - so watch out) guarantee. I shall see how it goes but the tool does appear fit for purpose in my home workshop. Well done Record.

I will buy a better machine anyway, as I could also do with a big belt sander too, but this will do until I find a suitable heavy duty machine.

Back