Record 044 without cutter clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo.wood

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a record 044 but it has no cutter clamp and cutters as well. I can't find any clamp on eBay.
I do find some cutters and that's fine but if I don't have any clamp how can I use it ?
have you any idea to have an equivalent to clamp the cutters ?

regards
Paolo

Attachments

• 16124636717625769350167589297911.jpg
    16124636717625769350167589297911.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 28
Unless you are very lucky, and find one, the only way is to make one.
Or buy a 043 with one, I believe they are the same.

Bod

Unless you are very lucky, and find one, the only way is to make one.
Or buy a 043 with one, I believe they are the same.

Bod
thank you Bob. Yes I know they are the same.
I googled and I found that some people made of their own but I don't have any skill on working with steel and I don't have any reference for measures .

I didn't think about to buy a 043 I'll check it on eBay.

regards
Paolo

somebody on here might be able to make one for you? try posting in the metal working forum.

I'd put it on ebay "spares or repairs" and then buy another one with all the bits. £40 ish? Nice little tool to have.
I was having a look at mine - the blade clamp is quite a cunning design - it locks itself in as you tighten it.

I'd put it on ebay "spares or repairs" and then buy another one with all the bits. £40 ish? Nice little tool to have.
I was having a look at mine - the blade clamp is quite a cunning design - it locks itself in as you tighten it.

I bought mine for 5 pounds on eBay maybe for that reason.....

I deicded to do something different.
I started with a draw of the record clamp made by someone here on the forum and I made a 3d model.
Now I need a printing 3d service to print it.
I believe metal would be the best but may be in hard plastic would be the job as well.

Do you thing anybody would be happy to have this 3d model ? where is the right place to post ?

1613032282360.png

I will post a photo when I'll get the printed model.

Last edited:
@Paolo.wood

£5?

You'll probably at least get your money back by selling the individual bits as spares. You could then get a new version that is complete. I know that recent actions with the EU has has probably screwed up postage to Italy, but they come up regularly on Ebay in the UK......... As do spare blade clamps at a big mark-up. It is often easier to get a new one complete.

Personally over many years working I tend to use the Record 043 most of the time - it will work in most woods with cutters up to about 1/2 inch (12mm) before becoming a struggle, needing something bigger.
Therefore I have more than one set up for some of those jobs that have two or more repetitive grooves, but of different sizes. I even found an incomplete one that someone had cut and shortened the front nose...... so that it would work into a blind stopped groove. I think that it was an 'orphaned' body, minus its fence.

I never did - and still don't - understand why Record never configured the 043/044 blade clamp to be captive on a swiveling pin so that didn't get lost.... even the Quangsheng 043 look-alike has the same type of fixing. It was in production for decades and loosing the clamp was a well-known issue.

So, on my shelf I have a couple of 043s, (plus the 'adapter' I mentioned) and an 044. I've adapted each with a couple of circular cable lugs and short piece of flexible wire about 2 inches (50mm) long under the head of the fixing screw and the depth adjuster screw. It comes off, but has enough slack to hang loose while I sort out the blade before it gets put back.

However..... bits missing on plough planes has always been a problem...... depth-stops, spare fence bars and all sorts of cutters jump ship into the shavings and get lost.

Good luck.

I realized that it's not a good idea to print the clamp in 3d so I putted an auction on eBay. when I'll have 25 posts I'll post in the sales section on ukwsas well.

I'll go to catch one with all parts included.

thank for your thoughts

Hi Paolo
Please send me the model that you drew, I will 3D print it and check the fitment and if it works OK I will make some in brass ,I have some background in metal working ,so I would like to give it a try.
Regards
Mike

I have the same problem. I have downloaded all the pictures I could find of it, and hope to make one out of brass or cast iron in the future. It should not be too difficult if you have a small vise and a few files...

01 Record no. 43 Plow Plane 000.JPG
01 Record no. 43 Plow Plane Luban- similar 00.jpg
01 Record no. 43 Plow Plane 00.JPG
01 Record no. 43 Plow Plane 0.JPG
RAPIER No. 043 Plow Plane Mint in Box - 105901.JPG
RECORD No. 043 Plough Plane -o.JPG

Attachments

• levercap-1.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
I made one from those drawings a few years ago.

Jo644Z8.jpeg

It wasn't actually that easy to mate them together. It locks it down fine but it's a bit of a fiddle getting it to clamp on narrow blades, it tends to want to walk out as you tighten the screw. As per usual never got round to finishing it and it's still got the Allen bolt

Back