Recommended Starting Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
So I want to get into some joint cutting rather than doing it all with machines. Joints I'll be doing are probably finger and eventually dovetail.

Not sure if I'm about to anger some fine people but...would a saw used for ripping also be usable as a crosscut saw? If so - any recommendations for one of those as well.

I've looked at the veritas saws and I've seen some good recommendations on this forum for those.

A FINAL question - what tools / equipment do I need to maintain these saws and can anyone suggest some techniques?

Thanks, as always.

For saws, withing budget...
Western- veritas
Japanese- speak to Mathew at wsh

Mathew can also clear up any issues with sharpening and give advice on what's best for what.

At college we have veritas dt saws, hard point marples tenon saws and panel saws.
There is a vintage one flying about the above 3 do the job well enough.

The next issue is do you get the ones with the funny teeth and the front to help saw, what tpi ect blar blar blar.
If your learning just have a go with any saw available and make up your own mind on what's best for you.

I've seen good dt's cut with a hard point tenon saw...

I personally have a vintage one I restored myself. Tho if I could id have all my saws by adria

Hope this helps.
TT

The Veritas Saws are very good, I would start with a rip saw and only buy a crosscut later if you feel you need to.

I wrote this article a few years ago which might give you some general advice, if you need any specific advice you are more than welcome to call me.

http://www.peterseftonfurnitureschool.c ... icle57.pdf

Cheers Peter

Edited - just re read the OP - DTs and finger joints.
Spear & Jackson 8" dt saw with plenty of blade left - say £10 to 20 on ebay. They are top class. 18tpi approx is common in which case rip filed (it's almost impossible to cross cut file such a small tooth).

A finger joint is a machine cut joint- it is not meant to be cut by hand. The hand cut equivalent is a dovetail.

Jacob":fhl95ycj said:
Spear & Jackson 8" dt saw with plenty of blade left - say £10 to 20 on ebay. They are top class. 18tpi approx is common in which case rip filed (it's almost impossible to cross cut file such a small tooth).

Heartily agreed on the quality, but a (good) eBay s/h saw is likely to be blunt, and I can't see a beginner
having the skills or equipment to sharpen 18 TPI teeth.

BugBear (with some very nice S&J saws)

bugbear":33u8sm69 said:
Jacob":33u8sm69 said:

Heartily agreed on the quality, but a (good) eBay s/h saw is likely to be blunt, and I can't see a beginner
having the skills or equipment to sharpen 18 TPI teeth.

BugBear (with some very nice S&J saws)

now the op has been advised to buy old tools where the quality of it function is hit and miss, i advice against this. also when i was a beginner (still am mind)
things where made OVER complicated, where some would swear by this tpi and some by that tpi.

i myself spent to long reading "whats best" or "how should i" when i should of just go on with it.
im can't stress enough that the best way to find out, is to get a saw and go for it. that way you can go on your own findings and learn the way we are meant to.. buy doing it..
then again im a Kinaesthetic learner,

enjoy.

TT

tobytools":2i3momtj said:
im can't stress enough that the best way to find out, is to get a saw and go for it. that way you can go on your own findings and learn the way we are meant to.. buy doing it..

I bought the Veritas 14tpi rip dovetail saw when Axi had them reduced to about £45. After being used to using a couple of old crosscut S&J backsaws, using the Veritas does encourage you to improve your sawing action. So little set on the teeth it is not forgiving if you are flapping about a bit. And whilst the old S&J saws make a wide enough kerf that they can be "steered" back on track, if you start sawing in not quite the right direction with the Veritas, there's not much scope of correction.

Thanks for the informative posts everyone, definitely helped. I'm not sure exactly yet what I'm going for buy I'm sure I'll be decided once my pay lands.

Thanks!

Back