recommend me a shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a shoulder plane?

I'm not sure i want one from the big three so should I look ebay or axminster for something and what size?

If I didn't have two infills which are a dream to use...I would get a Preston...off of eBay probably.

They are not cheap but they tend to be better made than the Stanleys or Records.

Jim

selly":3anuky9g said:

I'm not sure i want one from the big three so should I look ebay or axminster for something and what size?
I have one from the Big3 and it's the Veritas Medium...if ever there was a 'Goldilocks' shoulder plane, it's this one. Only my very 'umble opinion of course - Rob

Hello,

I find the Stanley No.93 the most useful and versatile shoulder plane for small scale cabinetwork. I find this more user friendly, than the Lie Nielsen No.73, and the lower bed angle makes for easier planing. I do not know, how precisely they are made today (I bought my more than a decade ago), but my piece required a lot of work to square and straighten it up.

By,

János

If I didn't have a very nice Clifton, I would get um, erm...
Ah. Yep. A Philly fillister, since rebates were the only thing my shoulder plane got used for before I had a fillister. I use a chisel and router plane for shoulders and cheeks.
Oops - wrong answer, I expect.

woodbloke":1k4o61sb said:
selly":1k4o61sb said:

I have one from the Big3 and it's the Veritas Medium...if ever there was a 'Goldilocks' shoulder plane, it's this one. Only my very 'umble opinion of course - Rob

+1

+1 for the Veritas Medium Shoulder, I have it's larger brother, and I find it a little on the big side for most tasks. If I were to buy again, I'd definately go for the medium.

Cheers

Aled

Record 073 is good. I got one recently and have found it very handy. Not cheap. will be £75 - £100.
At a pinch the much cheaper Stanley 78 will do and it has other features which shoulder planes tend not to have.
Depends on what sort of work you do.

Record 311 gets my vote - Have got a couple of these and have had them for years.

Rog

Veritas Medium. Having reviewed it, I liked it so much I bought the company... Er, well no, I didn't - Rob wasn't selling. :lol: But I scraped together the (rather smaller) necessary and went and bought an example of the plane for myself. Mind you I also have an early Philly plane based on the HNT Gordon variety, and that's damn good too. For big stuff I'll break out the old Record 073, but there's no getting away from it; it's just not as good.

Having said all of which, like dunbarhamblin, the heady mix of chisel and router plane is as likely to get used, depending on my mood. Maybe a more useful response is to clarify what you want to use it for?

Alf":1nvhi7xa said:
Mind you I also have an early Philly plane based on the HNT Gordon variety, and that's damn good too.

Indeed

04012006218-2.jpg

A 1" and a 1/2" shoulder seen in this collection.

I've tried most of the other shoulder planes (LV/LN/Clifton/Stanley) and didn't find any worked better than the Philly shoulders.

Cheers

Karl

Oh, the blatant gloating. My eyes! My eyes! :lol: Mine is pre-brass sole, but with purpleheart that's not exactly a problem thus far.
DSCF0782.JPG

Coincidently, I just found the record of Philly's first ever plane. I won't post a link - to give him time to bribe me not to... :D

Attachments

• DSCF0782.JPG
    DSCF0782.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 757
Love my Clifton 410. Works so well, fits the hand beautifully and is a very satisfying piece of engineering. I have the bigger LN 073 as well but hardly ever use it.
Simon

I'd also suggest an old woody rebate plane as an option. There are plenty of them about for £5 or so and they are perhaps the most useful of the old planes. Buy half a dozen and pick the best. I think they are nearly all skewed, which is good.

Jacob":1qd363w7 said:
I'd also suggest an old woody rebate plane as an option. There are plenty of them about for £5 or so and they are perhaps the most useful of the old planes. Buy half a dozen and pick the best. I think they are nearly all skewed, which is good.

What did you use on the shoulders of your bread board end tables? IIRC you do own a metal shoulder plane of some kind.

BugBear

bugbear":2datuu6b said:
Jacob":2datuu6b said:

What did you use on the shoulders of your bread board end tables? IIRC you do own a metal shoulder plane of some kind.

BugBear
Have used a 78. Now use a record 073 which is spot on and nice to use.

Back