Reclaiming old timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrenchIan

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'd appreciate your advice on this.

I've found some lengths of wood in my barn. There's about 30-40 of them, each around 1200mm x 120mm x 40mm. They are oak, old and dirty. Very worn/pitted, too, along the grain. Could be the remains of an old floor, maybe, well scrubbed over the years, or a very large vat? (This place used to be a farm, where they made goat's cheese, I think). Some are a bit warped, and most taper side-to-side for some reason. They look almost good enough for firewood.

But, I put one through the table saw and then the P/T, and it's come up beautifully! The grain runs from top-to-bottom (is that quarter sawn?), and there are rays (?) all along it. Lovely to look at. I'd like to salvage it if I can, but I don't know if it's possible (or worthwhile).

Putting each piece through my small planer isn't an option - it would take for ever, and probably eat blades. What about using a bandsaw (if I had one) to true them up, taking off the worst of the pitting/taper/warping? Then use the P/T?

Or, if anyone has any better ideas, I'll be grateful.

Cheers

Ian

I'd be very surprised if your planer/thicknesser couldn't handle it. The feed rate is probably faster than on a bandsaw anyway (marginally). Just do them a few at a time. But might be worth getting in a spare set of blades.

I'd be more worried about nails etc in the timber and would run a lumber wizard or similar over the wood. A metal detector would probably work just as well.

A wire brush followed by a Lumber Wizard should protect the planer's knives, but old Oak seems to harden, so what ever you do is likely to be slow, but worth it!

Roy.

RogerS":35v0bzlv said:
Ian

I'd be very surprised if your planer/thicknesser couldn't handle it. The feed rate is probably faster than on a bandsaw anyway (marginally). Just do them a few at a time. But might be worth getting in a spare set of blades.

I'd be more worried about nails etc in the timber and would run a lumber wizard or similar over the wood. A metal detector would probably work just as well.

Thank's Roger.

You're probably right. I've scrubbed and hosed them all, so they're fairly clean - no nails in them that I know of - so I guess it'll just cost me some time (got lots of that) and a set or two of blades - still cheaper than buying a bandsaw.

And you're right, Digit - the stuff is hard to machine. But worth it.

OK, that's tomorrow task organised!

Thanks again

Ian,

They sound like some kind of barrel stave to me. Maybe the 'Vat' was barrel shaped.

If they are, asphalt spreaders (as opposed to tarmac-rakers) would tear your arm off for them, to make their wooden floats!

My old Dad was forever getting me to make these for him. When beer started to be kegged in metal containers, for a while there was a plentiful supply of these staves but it's begun to run dry again.

Just thought you might like to know that!

I would just clean them up as best you can and see what you have after a wire brushing. I'm sure you could salvage some of it and make some nice pieces.

regards
John :wink:

Benchwayze":2blhpd2c said:
Ian,

They sound like some kind of barrel stave to me. Maybe the 'Vat' was barrel shaped.

If they are, asphalt spreaders (as opposed to tarmac-rakers) would tear your arm off for them, to make their wooden floats!

My old Dad was forever getting me to make these for him. When beer started to be kegged in metal containers, for a while there was a plentiful supply of these staves but it's begun to run dry again.

Just thought you might like to know that!

I would just clean them up as best you can and see what you have after a wire brushing. I'm sure you could salvage some of it and make some nice pieces.

regards
John :wink:

John, I think you're right. We still have one vat in the cellar,which was used, I think, for mixing the goat's milk. It's like a half barrel, but it's about 6 ft high and the same across (obviously built in-situ). The pieces I have could have come from something similar.

Why were they so sought after for spreading asphalt? Slow-burning?

Whatever, it's lovely wood, worth salvaging.

Cheers

Some old oak posts I got a while back had the "Bosch from the Bootfair" treatment....

DSC_0078.JPG

Then I hit is with the No.7 and it came up beautifully.

DSC_0080.JPG

There is a use for those horrible power planers...and this is one of the best...taking old paint and rubbish off before you use your treasured jointer!

Jim

Ian,
To answer your question about the use of staves for spreading asphalt.

Staves were already shaped well. (Asphalt spreading floats are not flat but curve across their width and also along the length slightly. They also have a sharp angle cut at the front, which is used to trim and pick up odd lumps of cooling asphalt. This thin edge stands up well to the work if the float is of oak.

Oak also takes on a beautiful patina once broken in, and because of this it leaves a superior finish on the 'black-stuff'! (Although indoors for floors the asphalt could be red, blue green etc. Most often maroon).

The nearest I ever got to asphalt was to carry cast-iron buckets of it to the tradesmen spreaders. The stuff had to be so hot it was like treacle, and melted treacle at that! It was a job I took with my old Dad when I first left the Navy, and was casting around for a decent job in woodwork!

HTH to explain a bit.

John

jimi43":qzmgqbr3 said:
Some old oak posts I got a while back had the "Bosch from the Bootfair" treatment....

DSC_0078.JPG

Then I hit is with the No.7 and it came up beautifully.

DSC_0080.JPG

There is a use for those horrible power planers...and this is one of the best...taking old paint and rubbish off before you use your treasured jointer!

Jim

The very same idea came to me last night. Why not use my power plane to square it up enough for the P/T?

Isn't it nice when the character starts showing?

Benchwayze":iacwfudw said:
The nearest I ever got to asphalt was to carry cast-iron buckets of it to the tradesmen spreaders. The stuff had to be so hot it was like treacle, and melted treacle at that! It was a job I took with my old Dad when I first left the Navy, and was casting around for a decent job in woodwork!

John

Has to be delivered and spread before it cools, of course.

Sounds a bit like rivetting in the shipyards. Doesn't matter if you're tired and feel like a break, the rivets keeps coming.

Well, I tried Jimi43's idea of an electric plane first - it worked a treat

DSCN0851.jpg

Thanks for the idea. Four down, only another thirty-eight to go.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back