Reception desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I'm currently designing a reception desk for a family members new business but struggling with deciding on suitable material. The carcass will probably end up being covered with either pre-made cladding (not my favourite option) or ill make some thin strips of walnut and glue/pin them to the sheet material in a staggered pattern.

The desk will have two levels. One for customers to lean on as they approach the desk and the other, lower section for the user to be able to type/fill in paperwork. The desk will form an L shape with a solid wood top. (Hope this makes sense).

Does anyone have any advice on materials to use? Do I make a timber frame and then add sheet materials for strength. Should I use my Festool Domino to join the plywood/MDF sheets?

Thanks for reading :D

thetyreman":2zi6y4ep said:
have you designed it yet and actually drawn it out on paper?

Not yet, I've got ideas but haven't designed on Sketchup yet as I don't exactly know what materials I'll use.

No need for a timber frame if you design it right.
I'd use veneered ply, or veneered MDF if you want to keep the cost down.

pcb1962":31id7uqf said:
No need for a timber frame if you design it right.
I'd use veneered ply, or veneered MDF if you want to keep the cost down.

Thanks for your advice.

Don't forget to make it accessible for wheelchair users.

If you look around in hotels, banks etc you'll see a lot of reception desks that have had to be lowered. Regardless of regulations, it seems a good idea to welcome all potential customers.

Back