Recently Completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Media unit recently completed for a client.
Colour to match existing furniture
Drawers to hold CD's and DVDs'
Solid European Oak throughout except back panel which is 6mm veneered .
Blumotion drawer runners
Antique Brass magnetic catches, hinges and handles.
The drawer fronts look as if the panels are raised but it must be an optical illusion.
6 foot wide 3 foot tall 16 inches deep
A 6 foot plasma screen on an articulated arm sits 5mm above the unit.

DSCI0060.jpg

DSCI0059.jpg

Open slot at back for cables

DSCI0061.jpg

Dom

Fantastic that, I really like the way the drawers are set slightly forward. You have got a lovely warmth to the wood what finish did you use? Somone is going to be very happy with that.
Owen

If you carry on like that, I think you'll be able to make a living from it when you grow up.

In all seriousness, very clean work, i'm sure the client is proper chuffed.

Well done Dom. It is beautiful.

Spill the beans on the finish! I love the colour.

I like the lines. It is not just a piece of furniture but a feature. You not going to overshadow the TV focus? 8)

Thank you you're all too kind.
The colour is what I like to call a B*****d colour, it's Cherry with 1/50th Brown dye. and then spray finished two part.
The gaps in the back board are for cables.

Dom

Dom - excellent piece. When I first saw the pics I assumed it to be cherry timber and then when I read on a bit and saw it was finished with a cherry type finish which is presumably what the client wanted? Not what I would have done on oak but if that's what was needed by the customer...c'est la guerre :lol: Would be good to see a close up of the drawer fronts as they do look like raised panels as you say and is an optical illusion - Rob

I like it Dom, how are the doors and drawer fronts done, are they a mitred frame with raised panels :?: I can't tell fromthe photo's, looks Bloomin good though. =D>

:eek:ccasion5: Martin

Dom that really is a beautiful piece of work. May I ask you say that all wood is solid, can you tell me how wide the panels in the door are and how thick as they seem to be one piece thanks. I am tasked to build something similar and if it comes out half as good as that I will be well pleased. Proportions and design very pleasing.

Cheers Alan

First class Dom any cabinetmaker would be most proud of it I'm sure .Well done. Big question,,, though not important just curious ,,, how many hours of Dpleasure did it take you , to the nearest month will do.

It took 7 days.
Day one prepare the timber from rough stock and cut to rough size then left for a week to make sure it hadn't moved. Remember most of my timber is stock so has been sitting around for a while.
Then the final six days making and finishing.

The door panels are flat with a half 'v' on all edges and tongued, the frames are mitred and grooved also with a half 'v'on the inside.
Door fronts are the same they look raised but are in fact flat.

Again thank you for all the kind comments, somehow it's more gratifying to receive plaudits from your peers rather than the client.

Making this kind of furniture(one offs) is always more enjoyable, to me, than what many of us do and if you are thinking of following this path you need a client base first, unless your name's Linley.

Dom

DomValente":26doj6l9 said:
It took 7 days.

Dom, that sounds like the answer to Scrit's question on the employment thread. I doubt that many on here could have made that in seven days :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Heck, it'd take me more than seven days to decide to order the wood...

Love the colour and the workmanship, Dom. Gads, there's a read-between-the-lines comment if ever there was one! :D

Cheers, Alf

Paul Chapman":2i66c30m said:
DomValente":2i66c30m said:
It took 7 days.

Dom, that sounds like the answer to Scrit's question on the employment thread. I doubt that many on here could have made that in seven days :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Don't forget Paul it's 95% machinery and my days are probably longer than Scrits' future employee's.

Alf wrote:
Love the colour and the workmanship, Dom. Gads, there's a read-between-the-lines comment if ever there was one!

Yes, but you're a Goddess and I forgive you :)

Dom

Back