rebate ideas??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoeuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

i come into a slight problem ! :(

i have to rebate the edges for a panels, h72" x w24" x t19mm on 3 sides, i do own a table saw but find it quite cumbersome to handle in cold weather ( i have to do this outside, no space at present).

i do own a set of dado cutters but i have very limited experience, and will not try something of this size until i proficent in doing cuts on a small scale

the rebate needs to be half the depth of panel, 8-9mm

the safest way is with a router, for which i don't have a lot of experiance with, and i always have a practice before doing any cuts.

what i would like to know is would i have to do mutlipul passes to obotain a w-19mm x d-8 mm rebate with a 19mm straight bit, or would it be better to purchase a rebate bit?

is there any post, jigs, or tips from more expericenced people

photos or video if possible

thanks all

Easy enough to do with a router and fence. To get the depth of about 8mm you'll need to take four passes IMO of 2mm each...don't try and take out the complete depth in one hit :shock: :shock: - Rob

GUIDED BIT

which maker?

so many to choose from! recomendation please

money is tight, but i will splurge if i have to

is there any budget range? i can look at

There are not that many rebate bits that will go 19mm into the board, it would need a cutter of at least 50mm dia which would have quite a kick if you are not used to using a router.

Better off with a fence and the largest dia straight bit you have say 25mm dia.

Jason

thanks jason

biggest is 22mm dia striaght bit bu i have a weedy little 1000 watt router and a bocsh 500 router

still tring to get funds for a porter n cable style router ie bosch

jasonB":3rxshyui said:
There are not that many rebate bits that will go 19mm into the board, it would need a cutter of at least 50mm dia which would have quite a kick if you are not used to using a router.

Jason

That makes sense. I usually use 12mm.

Mine was bought from Wealden, although I have a Trend set which have a variable-size guide bush. I'm not sure that would go up to 19mm. Wealden do an 18mm here for a bit over £20 plus the cost of the bearings, under £3.

A 1000w router should do it. My Trend T5 is 850w and it will do a full half-inch rebate in softwoods.

I'm no expert here, but it is something I've done a lot of times and it works this way.[/url]

thanks smudger

taken under advisement!!!

£20 plus bearings seems to be reasonable, but i would prefer to buy a full kit, cutter inc all bearings, that way i am covered for all situations

but this can be quite expensive,

i have tryed ebay with no luck

jasonB":3juq5anc said:

Jason

Take in small depth bites then? Also,

Instead of buying all those spare bearings, use d/s tape to stick differing thickness shims of scrap ply or mdf, to the workpiece. This will bring the cutter out by varying amounts to suit each job.

:)

Instead of buying all those spare bearings, use d/s tape to stick differing thickness shims of scrap ply or mdf, to the workpiece. This will bring the cutter out by varying amounts to suit each job.

thanks i didn't think of that neet idea

Benchwayze":1eiakqa5 said:
jasonB":1eiakqa5 said:

Jason

What I was saying is that not many cutters will have 19mm between the cutting face & the bearing.

Wealden do one that will give upto 26mm but you would want a decent variable speed 1/2" router to use it plus 60mm clearance in the base. The CMT sets like I have will only go upto 18mm but if you want all the bearing options you are looking at £125.

Jason

Yes Jason, I get your drift.
I was talking about reducing the 'bite' of a cutter into the side of the timber, by using shims instead of bigger bearings.

All the same, cutting large rebates with extra wide cutters would still be easier if you gradually increase depth of cut, instead of going for it in one.

What I was saying is that not many cutters will have 19mm between the cutting face & the bearing.

Wealden do one that will give upto 26mm but you would want a decent variable speed 1/2" router to use it plus 60mm clearance in the base. The CMT sets like I have will only go upto 18mm but if you want all the bearing options you are looking at £125.

Jason

ouch on price, i like the wealden one for £40, and the 18mm bearing

i have cheap 1800 watt 1/2in router which i only paid £12 for! with bits

i thinck what i will do is coff up for a wealden bits with 3 bareings to get me started, and look at the cmt later when my finances pick up, anyway i can always add bareings

i have a practice witha a fence & straight bit first

thanks for the advice, keep it up

thanks all

i am at present design a mobile router/saw table, router table simular to yankie workshop, the only addition is is gong to be combined with a bosch gts10 table saw, and beismere fence kit

still working out the plumbing, once plans are done i will post the drawings for all to see,

wish i new how to do 3d cad?, just have make do with 2d

cheers

Back