re-treating weathered garden furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawnking

Established Member
Reaction score
my mother inlaw has an out door table and chair set that hasnt been treated for a few years, it looks to me like hardwood sorry dont know what type i am only an amateur,
what i want to ask is it with cleaning with a pressure washer or should i take it all aprt sand reassemble?
next question is what would be the best treatment and finish.

cheers shaun

Don't think it would be worth taking it apart - doubt it will go back together the same.
Just sand it down,brush it clean,then leave it somewhere covered to dry out fully.Then give it a coat or two of garden furniture oil.

Andrew

I agree that taking it apart might be a mistake. As for a finish, I've often used Sadolin Classic wood preservative and found that very successful. It might be more successful than oil if the furniture hasn't been treated for a few years and is not in very good condition.

Paul

thanks for the replies i took it apart as far as when it was flat pack ie undid bolts etc upon starting to sand the slats of the back of a chair i noticed they where moving, it looked like they where glued into the rails with mortice and tenon joints, the more i lightly rubbed the more they moved so i took a closer look at the joint and noticed it was coming apart when i held up to the light u could c it was held together with dowels
i gave one a slight tug and it came away in my hand
7-8 hundred pounds worth of hardwood table and chairs where fixed together with a few dowels which r rotted now i pulled a dowel out and it just crumbled in my hand.]

pity realy because after a bit of elbow grease with sanding the wood although treated 1 time about 2 years ago came up almost like new
going to try to c if i can drill out old dowels then renew. can u get hardwood dowels or can anyone suggest a better way of re-fixing the slats in the rails as all the chairs have the same prob

cheers

shaun

prawnking":2bvtq16u said:
Can u get hardwood dowels or can anyone suggest a better way of re-fixing the slats in the rails as all the chairs have the same prob
You can get beech dowels, which is hardwood - problem is it's not durable so it will just end up rotting out. What you need is something like teak or iroko dowels - but other than turning then I don't know how you come by any. Pity the manufacturers didn't use mortise and tenon joints instead of dowels.

Scrit

If you get a think peice of metal, you can make your own but make sure that you drill a few holes that are close together in in size to what you want to get a better finish on them

Back