Re: Sealey SL 1000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allmac

Reaction score
Hi all great site
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the Sealey wood lathe the SL 1000 as i bought this one second hand and can't find any info on at all i was told it was a 3/4 X 16tpi spindle but when i measure it yes it is 3/4 but the thread pitch has a thread pitch of 5 or 6 threads to the 1/2 inch of spindle and this has confused the hell out of me and as this is my very first lathe i thought i would try and seek some advice
any help would be greatfully appreciated
TIA
Allan

Hi Dave thanks for that thats what i keep coming up with but the thread count would be 8 tpi for 1/2 inch of spindle and when i measure it it comes up with 5 or 6 per 1/2 inch and thats whats confusing
Allan

Allan,
Somebody on this forum will have: a Record lathe (3/4 x 16), live near you, have a chuck and be willing to let you try it to confirm the thread on your lathe.
Just hang on until they log on, I have nothing of that size otherwise I would send it across for you to try.

Dave

Hi guys
right i have been doing a bit of measuring i put my vernier on the tips of the threads and it was 19mm and i measured 1/2 of threads on the thread crests and it works out at 5 threads per 1/2 inch and the measurement between the crests of 2 threads is 2.5mm
so according to my calculations it is 3/4 X 10tpi and not 3/4 x 16 like i was told

if i was to buy an adapter what would be the best and most popular size to get?

Thanks in advance
Allan

Hi all great site

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the Sealey wood lathe the SL 1000 as i bought this one second hand and can't find any info on at all i was told it was a 3/4 X 16tpi spindle but when i measure it yes it is 3/4 but the thread pitch has a thread pitch of 5 or 6 threads to the 1/2 inch of spindle and this has confused the hell out of me and as this is my very first lathe i thought i would try and seek some advice

any help would be greatfully appreciated

TIA

Allan

Hi Allan.

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm lomking at one of these lathes at the minute but it doesn't come with any chucks or faceplate so want to make sure I'll be able to find something before I buy the lathe.
Many thanks
Tom

Hello I've got the slightly lesser SIP lathe,
these go under various names, Draper, Sealey, Axi perform,
The same thing in the states with the Harbor freight machines,
but notably the thread is a heavier one.

Someone here only bought a Charnwood replacement spindle about fortnight ago,
and had to get an adapter due to the pitch being heavier.

I'm taking a pot shot guess the heftier thread makes sense,
and that's what yer gettin from now on.
Just be sure that you double check this w/supplier if looking for chucks or whatever.

Good luck
Tom

Latest posts

Back