Re-Osmoing worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Simple question I hope - I Osmo’d my walnut worktops about 2 years back and they are starting to look a bit dull and water doesn’t sit on the surface the way it used to. I have a full tin of Top Oil and wondered if I need to sand the surface right back to bare wood before re-applying a couple of coats. Or can I just give a light sand and re-apply?

Light sand (if that) and re-apply.

Often times people look for bullet proof finishes, IMO you're generally better off with a finish that's simplicity itself to refresh.

if you have applied wax on top of the osmo and want to refresh the finish is the procedure the same?

Thanks Custard, I guessed that a light sand would be sufficient but it’s good to hear that confirmed. For me, the good thing about Osmo is that it’s not bulletproof, in that it allows the beauty of the grain to come through without imparting an artificial look.

Re applying wax on top, that seems to me to be unnecessary, certainly in the kitchen environment.

nabs":hkkj5tiq said:
if you have applied wax on top of the osmo and want to refresh the finish is the procedure the same?

Good question.

Osmo say initial application should be to a clean, dry surface. And I know for a fact that like virtually every other finish it won't take on top of silicone. But given that Osmo already contains wax I'd guess there's a decent chance it'll work.

You could find a discrete area, wipe it over with low odour white spirit, then try it out. You've nothing to lose and I reckon the odds are in your favour.

Let us know how you get on.

Marineboy":2rix3q8h said:
the good thing about Osmo is that it’s not bulletproof...

Compared to say a two pack finish it certainly isn't bulletproof, but you might be surprised at just how stain resistant Osmo actually is. Most people don't appreciate this, but Osmo knocks seven bells out of water based varnishes when it comes to resisting common domestic stains.

wallace":2fjba26q said:
I agree I spilt some beetroot and it didn't stain

Exactly.

This is the best of several water based varnishes that I've tested. This shows red wine after 1 minute, ten minutes, and one hour.

Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg

And this is Osmo PolyX after exactly the same test.

Wine-Test-One-Hour-04.jpg

You can just see one faint ring in the one hour position, but even then a quick wipe over with another coat of Osmo and even that's gone, where as with the water based varnish you'd have to sand back to bare wood and start again.

I've recently completed a load of tests looking at finishes for paler timbers. If I can find the time I'll post it up.

Attachments

• Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg
    Wine-Test-One-Hour-02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Wine-Test-One-Hour-04.jpg
    Wine-Test-One-Hour-04.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 65
Back