Re-furb Cast Iron Table saw top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockingmoment

Established Member
Reaction score
Any guidance on cleaning up a table saw C/I top?
Its not rusty - just got a couple of cup stains, general ground in dirt and grime

Thanks,

Some wire wool with white spirit should do it. I protect with ordinary silicone-free wax paste (Liberon).

I use toolstation very fine maroon finishing pad cut to fit my random orbit finishing sander the velcro gripped it and gave good finish with no effort.

hmmm... silicone free.... :D

I don't know if this is recommended but I have cleaned iron with very fine sandpaper to remove rust... doesn't seem to have made the iron any more prone to rust.

I bought some silicone lube from LIDl, only £1... it works really well on hinges etc but I'm afraid to use it on anything that will contact the wood, I have heard it affects the finishes... is this correct?
Edit: I mean hinges on my shed door, not cabinet hinges.

The dry PTFE spray is a great lubricant... brilliant for router bases... especially for me 'coz I use resiney pine a lot... it doesn't seem to affect the finishes...

The CMT resin cleaner (2050 or something) is very good as well.... (for cleaning resin obviously)

Joe

Joe90":1yutjd29 said:
I don't know if this is recommended but I have cleaned iron with very fine sandpaper to remove rust... doesn't seem to have made the iron any more prone to rust.
I do that as well. Aluminium oxide is friable and appears to be softer than cast iron, but harder than red rust, so it does work well

Joe90":1yutjd29 said:
I bought some silicone lube from LIDl, only £1... it works really well on hinges etc but I'm afraid to use it on anything that will contact the wood, I have heard it affects the finishes... is this correct?
Yes. If you are spraying pre-cat or acid cat they will fish-eye where any silicone particles. Ruins the finish.

Once I've cleaned up I generally resort to Liberon Lubo wax. Spread on, buff off, job's a good 'un

Scrit

Gentlemen - sorted now, thanks very much for your help.

Used a combination of techniques - wooden wedge as a scraper, Orbital sander for the mucky stuff, then wire wool and white spirit to get the thing shining.

Just need to wax now, but it looks like a new pin, very smooth and low friction.

Thanks,

SM

Back