Rattle can lacquer recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodwork Journey Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
For the DIYers I guess, but any recommendations on rattle can lacquers?

So far I’ve had more success with car paint lacquer than stuff supposedly for wood when it comes to rattle cans

I find the easiest way to answer your question is to look at the online reviews for a particular product . I always look for a cross section of people who use them from professional to amateur and hobbyist etc . If a particular product sounds like it’s being mentioned a lot then it’s probably worth trying. If it works it works if it doesn’t then nothing lost ( unless you inadvertently order a bulk quantity)

I like the Chestnut range of products. The nozzle never seems to clog between use. One tip I would suggest is to heat the can in hot water before use and then use one of those handles for spray cans. The can will be too hot to hold anyway. It definitely increases the pressure and seems to make the lacquer less viscous - as close to a spray gun as you will get. !

I don't think they do clear lacquer, but if you're looking for colours, especially metallic silver, gold, copper, or black (and I think they do a blue and a green too, not sure), I've had very good results with Hammerite.

Back