*rang hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhead66

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a nice piece of hardwood. Not unlike a piece of Zebrano, but a bit milder in figure. The label is scratched and I can only read the last four letters "rang". I just cannot remember the name of this wood as it is some years old.
Please help. Driving me nuts as I know the name but, just wont come to me.

Ovangkol ?

shedua%205%20end%20grain%20s25%20plh.jpg

I can only think of keruing as having a similar ending to 'rang', but that's based on an assumption the label is so degraded for the u and i to be somehow mistaken for just one letter. Keruing isn't at all similar in character to zebrano, and it frequently has a high content of cutting edge dulling silica. Good for trailer boards and sides which I've done with it, and other heavy duty exterior uses though. Slainte.

That's not Keruing!, Now, There's a name from a while ago, the best wood for external cills on windows and door frames.
And, as Sgian Dubh mentioned lorry floors, sideboards, tailboards, etc extremely hard wearing.
Very tough, sandy and hard to work,and machine, makes teak look positively mild in comparison.

Regards Rodders

A little short for identification purposes, even with the picture!
I suppose you are in no doubt that these are the last four letters, and that the last one of the set is a "g"? Could it be a native name?

G.

Back