Random Orbital Sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

Another good example of excellent customer service.

Ordered the Metabo at 7am Thursday and received by 9.30am Friday Thanks to DM-Tools and Securicor.

Cheers

Neil

PS Screwfix - that is next day delivery

Now, now, Neil. Be fair. Yeovil is probably in another time zone. Sometime in the 15th century I think... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf

They have a huge warehouse in Leicester for supplying the Midlands and the North. It is less than thirty miles from me and twenty six of those are on a three-lane motorway.

Oh, I've just realised it's the M1 and that doesn't count as a high speed highway.

Still there's always the A46, that only has two lanes but it does have the advantage of never having any traffic.

Sorry for the moan, I feel better now. :wink:
Cheers

Neil

PS Have a good Christmas in deepest Cornwall.

I've ordered from D&M tools a couple of times and they seem very good.

Unlike Axminster, who don't seem to have the stuff you order in stock.

A_L

Newbie_Neil":2w4qksb9 said:
Oh, I've just realised it's the M1 and that doesn't count as a high speed highway.
No comment :mrgreen:

Newbie_Neil":2w4qksb9 said:
PS Have a good Christmas in deepest Cornwall.
And the same to you in not-so-deep(?!) Nottingham.
weihnachten031.gif

Cheers, Alf

Well I dunno. GWW just arrived in the post this morning and it has a review of random orbit sanders too. :? What is this? An anti-hand plane conspiracy?!

Cheers, Alf

replacement pads for my Bosch arrived from Axminster this morning, 36 hours after the delivery was placed. No more 240 grit frizbies in the shop....

I bought the Ferm RAS primarily for a desk I was making.
On its 3rd use the motor stuttered & died. It was returned & replaced within days.
So far it's working OK but I dont expect it to last long.
Only justification for buying Ferm products is the cheapness & 3 years guarantee.
I suppose they are OK for entry level til you decide you want better quality but, in the end, its cheaper to buy quality kit to start.

I got a performance power random orbit from B&Q for about £30 and it is fine after 4 months of use. Speed control + dust bag etc. Looks a lot like the Bosch one.

Hi Neil,

Have you had a chance to give the Metabo a good workout yet? What are your first impressions? I noticed it came top in the GWW review too... :)

Thanks,

NeilCFD

Hi Neil

NeilCFD":2jptfufv said:
Have you had a chance to give the Metabo a good workout yet? What are your first impressions? I noticed it came top in the GWW review too... :)

Yes, it came top in both reviews. I will be using it for the first time next month. I'll let you know then how I get on.

Cheers
Neil

Hi all,

I have the bosch and it seems to take all the battering i have given it. I got it from B&Q but being tight i waited until homebase has their 10% off weekend and then got B&Q to price match :D :D

A big thanks to Neil for spotting that DM-Tools are selling the Metabo via their web site with two Bessey clamps included. I ordered on Friday evening and they arrived yesterday. The clamps are UK60 types (600mm x 80mm) with a normal selling price of £14.65 each. So with the Metabo at £139 this was a really good buy.

David :eek:

Glad I could help... :)

Once you've had a go, would you let me know what you think? I'm 99% sure I'm going to go for one instead of the Makita BO6030, mostly because of the dual orbits.

Thanks,

NeilCFD

Neil,

I gave the Metabo a quick check out this weekend and found it to be very efficient. I hooked up my small vacuum extractor to it and discovered that the seals are so good that the disc is held to the wood by the suction. The 6mm orbit is quite ruthless in its ability to cut away the surface, whilst with the same pad in place the 3mm orbit gave a respectable finish. I don't have any fine pads as yet so not able to assess how good a finish it is able to achieve. One extra plus point is that a 4 metre cable is supplied.

David

Neil

I'd second Ham. Bought the Matebo at Ally PAlly. Have given it a reasonable workout. Almost makes sanding a pleasurable. I am either very easy to impress or it is an awesome piece of kit. Both in terms of its ability to surface, and to produce a fine finish that feels like silk.

Only problem is not being able to compare with other makes at a simiar price point. But then with a pair of Bessy clamps thrown in as well....... maybe I don't want to compare

Thanks David & SC, glad to hear it is as good as I thought :) It is especially good to hear that the dust extraction works well.

One 'comment' I've read about the Metabo in other reviews is that it is a bit heavier than some of the other ROS in that price range - whether this is a positive or a negative thing could be argued both ways I guess, but it would be interesting to hear your views on it.

Thanks!

NeilCFD

I got to use a couple of Festool ROSs at the weekend and from an operating point of view I really couldn't see much difference (in fact no difference) regarding these and the Metabo. Maybe the Festools were a tad lighter but really not noticable after a few minutes use. Wasn't able to examine the actual finish but I reckon for most people's needs the Metabo represented better value, especially with the dual orbit function.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

Yes, you're absolutely right. The Festool is catching up very quickly with the Metabo, but it is not quite there yet. If you then take the price difference into account it is a "no-brainer".

Cheers
Neil

A BIG Festool fan and also of the Metabo Duo

Latest posts

Back