Random orbital sander for site use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got my Metabo for 'proper' work.

Having just wasted money on the Screwfix Titan rubbish, I'm looking to buy something for site work. Any recommendations?

I use a festool in the workshop and a bosch gex 150 for roughish work on site. My local B and Q have some 125mm Triton sander for £20 ish which look half decent so may be worth considering.

Jon

Why would you want to use a rubbish sander on site???

I second the Festool Rotex sanders, I have the newer smaller unit and the older larger diameter. Both are fine for site use. Perhaps the sites I work on are more tool friendly than yours (I only work in domestic homes and thus the dust extration capabilities are essential).

Have you looked at the Aminster own brand range?

imaginarynumber":3vl9cmwz said:

What makes you say it's rubbish? What is it you didn't like about it when you used it?

RogerS":2i8cngud said:
wizer":2i8cngud said:
imaginarynumber":2i8cngud said:

What makes you say it's rubbish? What is it you didn't like about it when you used it?

The velcro on the sanding pad gave up very early on. No spare parts available.

On the Triton?

Hi Wizer

Sorry if I gave the impression that the Triton is rubbish- I have never seen or used it. At that price though I would expect it to be rubbish.

We have all used both good quality tools and rubbish tools- I can not see why anyone would want to use rubbish tools when they have an alternative.

I have seen too many tradesmen buy cheap tools that have given out after 2 days of continuous use. Miles from a supplier they have ended up downing tools for the day.

Its a false economy.

To be fair to the tools they are probably designed to run for a max of about two hours with a 20 minute rest period.

wizer":3a4m58w9 said:
RogerS":3a4m58w9 said:
wizer":3a4m58w9 said:
imaginarynumber":3a4m58w9 said:

The velcro on the sanding pad gave up very early on. No spare parts available.

On the Triton?

No..Screwfix TITAN/

imaginarynumber":27uu6hf2 said:
At that price though I would expect it to be rubbish.

I've got one of those and it's not rubbish. I was really surprised by how good it was.

I'm not sure any ROS is going to be used constantly for 8 hours a day, day in day out.

Cheers

Karl

I do agree that cheap tools are generally not worth the money. However, Triton was a good brand and general comments on this specific tool appear to be good. Remember that this sander has been reduced due to the demise of GMC. Ok, so spares is an issue right now. But at £15 your not loosing much are you?

If you're looking for a 125mm sander then, I've just bought the Bosch one from Axminster for a little over £70 (it's on special offer ATM with a few spare discs). Compared to my Metabo SXE450, it isn't as wild! :D It seems like a better bet for fine finishing on small components. The finish is certainly a lot better than what you've get on an orbital palm sheet sander... I really like it. Very comfortable to hold and not too noisy. :)

wizer":1pksb438 said:
However, Triton was a good brand

true but roger is talking about Titan which isnt the same brand as triton - screwfix titan are imo uniformly rubbish

Latest posts

Back