Ranch gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Ranch style gates to build and not having used much hardwood wondered if it would be OK to use fresh cut Oak for them? I realise I would have to use screws other than steel of course but would there be much movement on them using fresh Oak? Normally I use kiln fried timber but that is for indoor projects and my local dealer has a good deal on this Oak. Can anyone help?

Hi Mailee

I'd be happy to built a pair of gates from green oak. It is very easily worked when freshly cut, when it dries out and ages it shrinks and hardens. Try to avoid using metal fasteners at all, anything with iron in it will stain the surrounding wood black. I would mortice and tenon joints locked together with an oak peg. As the wood shrinks it closes up the gaps and makes a very strong joint.

Dennis

Well that has made me a happy man Jordan thanks. I had intended to M&T the joints with Oak pegs as I have made this guy some of the same gates before but in softwood. He isn't one for looking after them so asked me if I could build another set in hardwood. Thanks for the info. :D

Could look very attractive if you are after a rustic type of effect, but be aware that there will be a lot of movement as the timber seasons, including cracking and twisting, great if you want that effect but otherwise might dissapoint your client !

Most of the people round here who supply and erect gates and fencing won't touch oak gates, even seasoned ones, as they get so much hassle from people complaining about them even if they have been warned beforehand !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Ah, now you have got me thinking again Chisel. I would think my client would complain if the gates started to crack and warp. i might have to rethink this one. :?

Back