Raising the wreck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Done a bit of work on the car boot Stanley No 6 Type 9. Just cleaned off the worst of the rust with citric acid and tried, unsuccessfully, to get the overspray and other paint off the handles without wrecking the original finish. Iron is quite badly pitted non-original UK Stanley and lever cap is beyond salvation. Sole seems to be pretty flat, and swapping lever cap and sharp bits from its twin suggests it'd be a good user. BUT, a contemporary lever cap is about £20 on line, which sounds uncomfortably close to the going rate of about £50 for this model on that well-known auction site.
Some pics of salient bits below:-
DSCF5291.JPG

DSCF5290.JPG

DSCF5287.JPG

DSCF5283.JPG

DSCF5281.JPG

So.. will probably just try to find any old lever cap to fit and repair the rear handle with some rosewood from the stash. Question - would you plane off the break to give a single gluing surface, or flatten the two existing break surfaces and fit separate pieces. My guess is the former, but worth asking. Hadn't spotted until looking at the pics that at some stage, the spur probably got broken. Someone then tried to nail it back on (!) and in the process split off the side piece.

Attachments

• DSCF5281.JPG
    DSCF5281.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • DSCF5283.JPG
    DSCF5283.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 1,489
  • DSCF5287.JPG
    DSCF5287.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,489
  • DSCF5290.JPG
    DSCF5290.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,489
  • DSCF5291.JPG
    DSCF5291.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1,489
I would go for one large flat face and keep it simple. Get rid of all the dodgy mangled top end. Glue on an oversize chunk then shape. Rebore the hole from below. Other and better option if the stash of rosewood allows is make a whole new handle.
Regards
John

Fit like, that loon!

Unfortunately, my stash doesn't have piece quite big enough to make the handle in one piece. And a silly bit of me wants to keep as much as possible of the original. Why? No idea!
Now it's clear what was under the crud, the plane has slipped down the todo list, so maybe in the interim a suitable lever cap might be found. Possibly passing Inchmartine (nearly wrote Formartine!) Tool Bazaar some time shortly, so may pop in there to see what he has.

Thanks to the wonderful phil.p and his donation of a Stanley lever cap, this wreck is now at least a working wreck. Hasn't been properly put back tightly together and the non-contemporary iron needs more work, but it takes a nice shaving off some Siberian larch. Now have to decide how far to go in sprucing it up, given its hybrid ancestry. (And my total lack of need for another No 7)

Orraloon":184lazo2 said:
I would go for one large flat face and keep it simple. Get rid of all the dodgy mangled top end. Glue on an oversize chunk then shape. Rebore the hole from below. Other and better option if the stash of rosewood allows is make a whole new handle.
Regards
John

I'd agree whole heartedly with what john as suggested and the order.

As its in compression I'd take the maximum required off, thus allowing full compression on the two flat horizontal mating surfaces.
How you'll go about drilling a pilot hole for the rod and a larger clearance for the nut will be dictated by what equipment/bits you have available. If it were me, pilot from beneath (as per John) and a 3in1 type for the clearance from the top.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks, dDave. I'd been thinking it was best to take off as little as was compatible with having a flat gluing surface, but your suggestion makes me think that maybe a more radical prosthesis would be both easier and mechanically stronger.
Getting the enlarged bit of the hole coaxial will probably involve making up a one-off tool, but why else have a Super 7 taking up space :D

Back