Raising a Panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky9cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m considering a new project which will perhaps have some raised panels, perhaps just under 2 inches deep. I’ve cut these before on a table saw sled but now want to try a traditional method. The trouble with a table saw is that you don’t get the flat bit at the edge. I know you can use router cutters but I wanted to try another way.

I’ve watched Philly’s video clip and that seems to be the way. The question is, what plane do I need to do the job and how do I go about it? (Nice site Philly).

Don’t tell me I need the Lie Nielsen 10 ¼; I’ve been wondering whether I could find a good reason to buy one :)

Ted

Way I have done this before is to use a plough (044) to define the centre panel. Good idea to score especially the cross grain with a knife first. Then having ploughed, plane out your bevels finishing to the edge of the ploughed margin with a rabbett plane if required.

I scribe the edge where the raising finishes, to cut the fibres, then rout a radius, if I want a rounded up lift, rout much of the remainder away then finish by hand with a plane.
I use a small wooden plane with the edges of the sole rounded to match the radius, this way the cut part can be tapered or flat depending on what the wife wants!

Roy.

lucky9cat":18xegof2 said:
I’ve watched Philly’s video clip and that seems to be the way. The question is, what plane do I need to do the job and how do I go about it? (Nice site Philly).
If you offer Phil money he will put you on the list to have a panel raiser made by his own fair hand. 8)

I really am fresh to doing this by hand and by fresh I mean the only inkling I have is from Philly's video. Just a couple of further questions though.

Alan and Roy, from what you've described am I right in thinking that your methods do not result in a flat face all around the edge for sliding into the rebate cut in the rails and stiles. I was hoping to find a method that gave this flat face. May be I'll have to compromise :?

Dave, yes Philly's plane did a lovely job and did result in the flat edge but it looks as if you need a different plane for each "angle" of bevel. Could turn out expensive :(

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Ted

It can give either Ted. I normally finish with a tapered edge simply because I prefer the look.
I normally use a 1/4 inch radius cutter. For either a flat finish or a tapered one I simply use the same cutter to remove the majority of the waste, but with a slightly shallower cut, then plane down to blend into the radius. Hope that makes sense.

Roy.

lucky9cat":20hlop7o said:
I’m considering a new project which will perhaps have some raised panels, perhaps just under 2 inches deep. I’ve cut these before on a table saw sled but now want to try a traditional method. The trouble with a table saw is that you don’t get the flat bit at the edge. I know you can use router cutters but I wanted to try another way.

Don’t tell me I need the Lie Nielsen 10 ¼; I’ve been wondering whether I could find a good reason to buy one :)

Ted

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php? ... =1#message

porch.JPG

I did the ones in the door.

BugBear

Thanks for the reply Bugbear. Your explanation is pretty clear. Nice porch by the way :) I also like the way you say the apprentices helped you. Nice one :D

Ted

Back