• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Quiet ceiling pull switch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a quiet ceiling pull switch. I've done a Google search and there's hundreds of entries so they must be sought after - yet no one seems to have found one. Anyone here know of an make/model that doesn't sound like a couple of rifle shots in the middle of the night?

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
why not consider one of those type of remote switches and the lighting plug wired to a 13amp socket?

That would be silent

Or put the wife in another room :wink:

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
if its a light switch you should be ok with the quality makes the likes of m&k etc.
if its a shower type switch youre after - Ive never seen (heard?) a quiet one (probably down to the fact there must be a larger gap between contact when in the off position 3mm maybe?)

have a look at the bottom of this page... http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/ele ... witch.html

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
RogerP":226wqbid said:
I'm looking for a quiet ceiling pull switch. I've done a Google search and there's hundreds of entries so they must be sought after - yet no one seems to have found one. Anyone here know of an make/model that doesn't sound like a couple of rifle shots in the middle of the night?
Roger I have recently tried to find one, finished with an MK but still loud, but quieter than a B&Q special :cry: I now tend not to use it and bump into things like the door. I assume they make a noise because the mechanical mech has to go over centre and remain there, so a strong spring is required.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Use a remote control on the ringmain and a table lamp like I mentioned above.
I should have said that this is for the overhead light in a bathroom/toilet. Silly thing is that when we did the room up a year ago I replaced the original with a nice shiny new one. The old one was quiet the new one sounds like gunshot. Unfortunately I can't find the old one now :(
Roger I have recently tried to find one, finished with an MK but still loud, but quieter than a B&Q special :cry: I now tend not to use it and bump into things like the door. I assume they make a noise because the mechanical mech has to go over centre and remain there, so a strong spring is required.
That's the situation here. :) A Google search reveals umpteen messages from folk looking for and failing to find a quiet switch.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
Crabtree is reckoned to be one of the quietest for ceiling pull switches.

could you possibly install a wall light switch outside the bathroom

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Final solution.

Purchase a 6 watt low energy bulb and leave it on all night.

60watts per night 10 hours
420 watts per 7 day week
22 killowats per year
22 x 12p per kw= £2.64.
Cheaper than buying a new ceiling switch.

mind_the_goat

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to have a dimming ceiling light switch, I seem to recall it had a very quiet on off action.
PIR switches are great but you should still fit a mechanical switch somewhere.